What does the erBB brain trust have to say to this restaurant owner?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
He seems much smarter and more reasonable here. maybe he should have called a lawyer and not thrown a hissy fit and blocked the street with his truck.

It’s easy for a government clerk who collects a guaranteed check every few weeks like you, and those in the video, to throw stones at someone who has working at a loss for almost a year now.

Reactions: GromsDad

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I know a lot of people struggling right now. Individuals and business owners. My income for 2020 was less than half of what it is in a normal year. Times are tough but I'm getting by and trying to support the service industry as much as possible. The way I see it, we're all in this together. Or at least we should be. I do see how the service industry is taking this one on the chin more than most other sectors. I see how the restrictions they've been working under to stay afloat and remain open have been a moving target and how many have spent money to accommodate ever changing restrictions. Some of these restrictions I will admit don't make sense in comparison to other things that are allowed. Nobody is saying that it's not tough and nobody is saying the state and local government response has been perfect. The real problem isn't that someone like Gavin Newsom is dining at French Laundry. The problem is that the federal government has been out to lunch for the vast majority of this pandemic and both individuals and businesses in what was once the wealthiest nation in the world have been left hanging with a one time relief bill that came and went more than 6 months ago and pales in comparison to what people and businesses are receiving in most other civilized nations we share this world with. The problem isn't that the government is squashing their business with temporary restrictions. The problem is that the government is doing this while doing nothing to offer proper relief. Thats what we should be crying about.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
this guy is a fool

I'm sure antagonizing the health department by ignorantly mocking their
boilerplate will yield the results he seeks

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
How can you sit and blame the Heath dept and local governments while ignoring the fact that the federa response has been nearly non-existent? Maybe this guy wouldn’t be so desperate to have to do things like block the health inspector with his small dick machine if he had proper relief?

Reactions: mundus

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Tony Bowens , 31, spent nine days in a hospital in March fighting for his life against the deadly coronavirus. In many ways, he’s just grateful this Christmas to be home with his wife and two kids, even though very little is the same. As his family struggles to pay rent, he can’t believe Congress and Trump haven’t reached an agreement on aid.
“It feels like everybody is playing politics with people’s lives,” said Bowens, who lives in Chicago. “That $600 check wasn’t much, but at least it would have been disbursed just in time.”
Bowens has ongoing complications from covid: Headaches, temperatures that spike for a day, crippling leg pains and trouble breathing. He lost his IT job in March and has not been able to work since. He received $65 a week in unemployment through the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program that Congress created this year to assist independent contractors and gig workers like him, but it will end the day after Christmas unless a relief bill gets enacted.
His family is barely getting by on his wife’s job as a state government worker in Illinois. They are behind on rent and the electric bill, and they worry about more layoffs for state workers.
Bowens said extending unemployment is “one of the most important things” in the relief package because a $600 one-time check won’t last long, “but unemployment would go for 11 weeks. I was going to be able to get that again.”

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
How can you sit and blame the Heath dept and local governments while ignoring the fact that the federa response has been nearly non-existent?
You and several others here REALLY struggle with binary thinking. Someone can be both frustrated with local governments and the federal government at the same time. Shocker, I know.

It's the local health department who is making the rules, specifically that it is now the restaurant owners responsibility to clear people off of PUBLIC property. That should be the responsibility of the local government, not the business owner.

Maybe this guy wouldn’t be so desperate to have to do things like block the health inspector with his small dick machine if he had proper relief?
Agreed, there needs to be a viable alternative and path to help people like this to the other side. However that doesn't help this guy in the short term.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Tony Bowens , 31, spent nine days in a hospital in March fighting for his life against the deadly coronavirus. In many ways, he’s just grateful this Christmas to be home with his wife and two kids, even though very little is the same. As his family struggles to pay rent, he can’t believe Congress and Trump haven’t reached an agreement on aid.
“It feels like everybody is playing politics with people’s lives,” said Bowens, who lives in Chicago. “That $600 check wasn’t much, but at least it would have been disbursed just in time.”
Bowens has ongoing complications from covid: Headaches, temperatures that spike for a day, crippling leg pains and trouble breathing. He lost his IT job in March and has not been able to work since. He received $65 a week in unemployment through the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program that Congress created this year to assist independent contractors and gig workers like him, but it will end the day after Christmas unless a relief bill gets enacted.
His family is barely getting by on his wife’s job as a state government worker in Illinois. They are behind on rent and the electric bill, and they worry about more layoffs for state workers.
Bowens said extending unemployment is “one of the most important things” in the relief package because a $600 one-time check won’t last long, “but unemployment would go for 11 weeks. I was going to be able to get that again.”
Copy Pasta Plagiarizer FTW!

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
It’s easy for a government clerk who collects a guaranteed check every few weeks like you, and those in the video, to throw stones at someone who has working at a loss for almost a year now.
Look at you, empathetic little man.

Maybe their business had "only 5-10 years left anyway"?

Would that make you feel better?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
How can you sit and blame the Heath dept and local governments while ignoring the fact that the federa response has been nearly non-existent? Maybe this guy wouldn’t be so desperate to have to do things like block the health inspector with his small dick machine if he had proper relief?
Nothing the federal government did or didn't do can justify what has been done to small businesses by state and local governments. The Constitution doesn't get thrown in the garbage because of a bad flu season.......at least it didn't used to.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Do you think you would've kept your cool after eating sh!t for 9 months?

The health department cited him for not doing their job. It doesn't get anymore government clerkish than that.
I might not have kept my cool, but I would not have thrown a social media tantrum

Reactions: $kully

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I might not have kept my cool, but I would not have thrown a social media tantrum
Fair point. I also agree that it was a dickmove to block the guys car. Desperation will mess with your head, and when nobody listens to you, I can't say that I wouldn't do the same thing.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Fair point. I also agree that it was a dickmove to block the guys car. Desperation will mess with your head, and when nobody listens to you, I can't say that I wouldn't do the same thing.
It's good to know that you poses so much empathy for restauranteur strangers.

Though it's a shame that you will soon die because empathy is cancer.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink