What do you do with your old surfboards?

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I've got a few old boards in the racks that are really just taking up space. Too old and beat up to sell, but not completely dead yet. I don't need a back up to my back up, so I want to get rid of them, but it pains me to just drop them in the trash.

What do you guys do with boards that are past their prime?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
bird. said:
I've got a few old boards in the racks that are really just taking up space. Too old and beat up to sell, but not completely dead yet. I don't need a back up to my back up, so I want to get rid of them, but it pains me to just drop them in the trash.

The best use is to give them away to kids for free.

The kids will be stocked.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Depends. Some boards hold sentimental value and a few others I’m holding on to for uniqueness in design influence.

Some boards get given away, others sold.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I sell them. The ones that don't get sold, are not useable.

I don't have any boards that I keep for sentimental value, and get rid of some to make budget available for the next thing I want to try.

PES78

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego
take them to patagonia in santa monica, the one down in cardiff has a place for them to be recycled. maybe call first not sure if they do that at the location.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I prop them up on the curb in front of my house and call OTF to come run them over.

That is if he's not too busy running over strangers boards in some parking lot somewhere else.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had a friend who worked for a non profit in Tijuana that worked with youth. I used to give them to him.

The boards I make now, epoxy and wood veneer construction, seem to hold up for years and years. Right now I have too many boards. 10. Got to make room in the racks...

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've still got almost every surfboard I've ever owned going back to board #1 from 1982. The only ones missing are a handfull of dogs that I traded in and a few boards that snapped along the way. If it was a good board it went in the crawl space when I upgraded. Its a sickness I suppose.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
casa_mugrienta said:
bird. said:

Yup i am donating a BUNCH of my unused boards to "resurf" this weekend. they have chapters in a lot of surf towns. Programs camps and lessons for underserved kids.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I melt them and pour molten fiberglass down the street gutter, why?

(give away on Craigslist or if handy, strip the shell and reshape into something funky)

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
obslop said:
put 'em by the shower or parking lot by a busy surf spot. someone will grab 'em.
This is a good call.

I've tried the free boards on craigslist and the erBB classifieds route before, but it ends up being a hassle with a lot of flakes.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Give em to a grom!

I've put em up on CL and required a ~500 word essay from the grom about why they are stocked on surfing, the board, etc. Got some awesome submissions and it ensures it goes to a kid who is really into the board.

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
casa_mugrienta said:
bird. said:

This.......... only stoked.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
noone said:
casa_mugrienta said:
bird. said:

This.......... only stoked.
You must be new here.

t!ts or GTFO.