what board would you immediately buy again if it broke today?

Jul 15, 2008
Yup - my absolute least favorite Tomo. I'm a fan of the MPH (rail) line.
It's the same here. I tried a lot (also changing fins), but I never had outstanding sessions on it. I expected a shortboardy EVO (my favorite Tomo until now).

Aug 9, 2015
I expected a shortboardy EVO (my favorite Tomo until now).
This is exactly what I wanted out of a hydro short, because the evo is my favourite groveller ever. Completely different boards. The hydroshort is the most back footed board I've ever surfed. Just could not get it to work. Sold to a buddy who likes it.

As far as an immediate re-buy...chalk another one up for Ghost. Best step up ever.

Reactions: WFCody and trifish

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
FW Sweet Potato…Not joking. It is the perfect board for the heavy, middle aged kook such as me trying to surf in mushy waves whose best move is going straight and fast with the occasional off balance cutback.
Hey! Sounds like you described me to a tee but I’m skinny.
I would pick my Lightbender twin or Vesper quad (both varial so please don’t ever break.) Vesper has a bit more top end and backside feels pretty great. Super versatile design.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
FW Sweet Potato…Not joking. It is the perfect board for the heavy, middle aged kook such as me trying to surf in mushy waves whose best move is going straight and fast with the occasional off balance cutback.
Some reason I feel like I couldn't break one of those boards if I tried being so stubby

Reactions: SD_Dan

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
You have it wired now? What's the range?
Wired? Ha! It's a challenge to ride every time.

It's a great board for soft point and reef waves if I don't feel like doing all the footwork a log requires but still want to cruise. It's an incredibly fast trim-oriented board that will crank a cutback. Anything thigh to shoulder high.

I was trying to explain it to my brother. It's like a pure dose of that feeling you got the first time you stood up on a wave.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yes but i can get the new version from Sharpeye. i will say the dark arts construction is amazing.
What's so amazing? I'm an early adopter of most techs, but seeing JJF's multiple buckled and broken borts on Pyzel's used section on their site over several years, doesn't excite me. I know they're (Dark Arts) are doing some PU/Kevlar builds, but the OG EPS-based builds are/were not that game-changing. When you're spending four figures on a bort, the fact you'd have to worry about water intrusion isn't a great selling point, when XTR and Varial (RIP) don't suck water like EPS.

surfercross

OTF status
Oct 19, 2006
What's so amazing? I'm an early adopter of most techs, but seeing JJF's multiple buckled and broken borts on Pyzel's used section on their site over several years, doesn't excite me. I know they're (Dark Arts) are doing some PU/Kevlar builds, but the OG EPS-based builds are/were not that game-changing. When you're spending four figures on a bort, the fact you'd have to worry about water intrusion isn't a great selling point, when XTR and Varial (RIP) don't suck water like EPS.
All good points my youth however I like they way that construction feels. Board has held up great as well. 2 years riding it off and on and just the perfect front foot wells. I will say that I just got a spine tek CI 2.Pro and the glassing on that board was sh!t.
I have had other spine teks and no issues. All customs as well. Surfers need to stop being so damn cheap as well.

Reactions: jkb and ChaseTMP