What are college dorks protesting about?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Sure.

But also, no.

Institutional divestment is a powerful tool that has affected change for decades. It is WAY more accessible and more likely to move the needle.

UC Davis did it, Brown is doing it, others will follow.
Move the needle in which way? The opposite of what the protesters want?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Move the needle in which way? The opposite of what the protesters want?

I don't understand what you are saying.

Nearly every college protest, if we're still limiting the discussion here to that, has called for institutional divestment from contracts that directly aid Israel.

People don't want to feel like they are an active participant in the problem.
This is one way to potentially have an impact, while being realistic in their sphere of influence and attempting to appeal to a (somewhat, and varying degree) reasonable audience.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
The impact will simply turn more people against their cause, now more than ever

Block a bridge or a road again? People will root for genocide at that point

The impact will be turning public opinion against them, even they had a correct point

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
How fast do you think crop top would be thrown off a roof in Palestine?
I still can't believe this sh!t.

If I could figure out to get pizza delivered to class (and I did many times), they can figure out a way to get food.

Humanitarian aid? Waddle your fat ass to the drinking fountain or cafeteria. There are several around that will take her meal plan.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The impact will simply turn more people against their cause, now more than ever

Block a bridge or a road again? People will root for genocide at that point

The impact will be turning public opinion against them, even they had a correct point

I said it already, the challenge with non violent direct action is that it is really, really hard to attract attention, and push enough people toward discomfort while increasing public sympathy to your cause iin order to creat pressure for change.

provocation invites reaction, and harnessing that is incredibly difficult. Probably more difficult than ever.

Reactions: afoaf and Ifallalot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I said it already, the challenge with non violent direct action is that it is really, really hard to attract attention, and push enough people toward discomfort while increasing public sympathy to your cause iin order to creat pressure for change.

provocation invites reaction, and harnessing that is incredibly difficult. Probably more difficult than ever.
So you’re promoting terrorism…

terrorism /tĕr′ə-rĭz″əm/

noun
  1. The use of violence or the threat of violence, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political goals.

2. The act of terrorizing, or state of being terrorized; a mode of government by terror or intimidation.

3. The practise of coercing governments to accede to political demands by committing violence on civilian targets; any similar use of violence to achieve goals.

• Dislike
Reactions: afoaf and Ifallalot

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Sometimes when you push people towards discomfort you find that they respond to you with more discomfort than you’re willing to handle. That’s what is happening over in Palestine.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I don't understand what you are saying.

Nearly every college protest, if we're still limiting the discussion here to that, has called for institutional divestment from contracts that directly aid Israel.

People don't want to feel like they are an active participant in the problem.
This is one way to potentially have an impact, while being realistic in their sphere of influence and attempting to appeal to a (somewhat, and varying degree) reasonable audience.
Then they need to go on a thirst strike and stop drinking water. A lot of water treatment plants use some form of Israeli technology in their process.
If you hydrate, you support genocide!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sometimes when you push people towards discomfort you find that they respond to you with more discomfort than you’re willing to handle. That’s what is happening over in Palestine.
Ahh yes. The discomforting of people in the Concentration Camp known as Gaza led to the rise of Hamas. Continuation of this status quo led us to October 7th. That uncomfortable response begat yet more discomfort.

I guess Israel has to choose if the want to a Final Solution to the Palestinian question, or if they'll stop at some point and the new masses of terrorists they've created over the past six months will launch more terrorist attacks.

I'd rather watch a special needs kid in a Metallica shirt set money ablaze while chuckling and going "fire....fire".

Reactions: Aruka

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Ahh yes. The discomforting of people in the Concentration Camp known as Gaza led to the rise of Hamas. Continuation of this status quo led us to October 7th. That uncomfortable response begat yet more discomfort.

I guess Israel has to choose if the want to a Final Solution to the Palestinian question, or if they'll stop at some point and the new masses of terrorists they've created over the past six months will launch more terrorist attacks.

I'd rather watch a special needs kid in a Metallica shirt set money ablaze while chuckling and going "fire....fire".
I’m not arguing for or against either side. To the question of what it takes to make it stop the answer is superior force from outside. Otherwise there’s no timeline for either side to stop.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
So you’re promoting terrorism…

terrorism /tĕr′ə-rĭz″əm/

noun
  1. The use of violence or the threat of violence, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political goals.

2. The act of terrorizing, or state of being terrorized; a mode of government by terror or intimidation.

3. The practise of coercing governments to accede to political demands by committing violence on civilian targets; any similar use of violence to achieve goals.
no where has he promoted terrorism

and no one needed your fkn dictionary definitions, DUFFMAN

holy fkn irrelevance, batman!

looking forward to the phrenology discussion, PRCD

so bankrupt...