What’s your favorite OTR Daily Driver

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I haven’t bonded with the latest custom board that I bought and I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole again. I’m looking for a tried and true NC San Diego daily driver. It doesn’t have to grovel, I have that covered with my RNF 96.Curious to hear what everyone likes and why. Will be surfing mostly beach breaks with it.
If you’re trying to stay in the same lane as the rnf96 (which I love), I just snagged a Retro Tripper off Clist. Only one surf in but noticeably more rocker, bit knife’ier. Feels good and same fins for both!!

Reactions: OsideBum and Aruka

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
I guess it depends on my mood and what the waves will allow me to surf:
  1. Middy daily driver: HI Mid 6​
  2. Shortboard daily driver: CI OG Flyer​
  3. Groveler daily driver: Lost Bean Bag​
  4. Crowded daily driver: Odysea / Catch Surf 9'0" Plank​

Feb 18, 2024
micro stubby I love my Og flyer but like Tedshred said it gets a bit monotonous if I was still competing it would be the flyer for sure

Mar 15, 2022
Thanks for all all of the suggestions. It sounds like it will be difficult to go wrong with any of them.

Mar 7, 2018
Happy Every Day
i found the happy everyday a bit flighty for me as an everyday board. mine has pretty deep concaves. i found it good in smaller pockety waves with its short railed outline but not so good in hh slopier waves. i moved to a DHD 3DV and found it better suited to the waves around home (mid nsw coast) which is a combo of waist to hh+ beach breaks and imperfect reef breaks. the best style of dd board really depends on the surf zone you live in and type of waves you regularly ride imo. the op would be best taking note of the boards similar ability surfers ride where they live.

Mar 15, 2022
i found the happy everyday a bit flighty for me as an everyday board. mine has pretty deep concaves. i found it good in smaller pockety waves with its short railed outline but not so good in hh slopier waves. i moved to a DHD 3DV and found it better suited to the waves around home (mid nsw coast) which is a combo of waist to hh+ beach breaks and imperfect reef breaks. the best style of dd board really depends on the surf zone you live in and type of waves you regularly ride imo. the op would be best taking note of the boards similar ability surfers ride where they live.
During any given session the amount of different boards people are on is mind blowing. When I was kid you rode a shortboard or a longboard. Now I see guys riding everything. Long, short, fish, gliders, grovelers, mids…….

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
During any given session the amount of different boards people are on is mind blowing. When I was kid you rode a shortboard or a longboard. Now I see guys riding everything. Long, short, fish, gliders, grovelers, mids…….
It's also a good thing. I think in general surfer's have become more educated and sophisticated with what they're riding. Instead of trying to make a board work in all conditions or type of waves ... going with boards meant to work in those conditions or types of waves. I bet if you asked an older shaper what type of questions or requirements surfers would have 20-30 yrs ago vs today there would be a significant difference.

Reactions: OsideBum

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I think in general surfer's have become more educated and sophisticated with what they're riding.
I don’t see this. I see most people riding the wrong boards still, but now there is a greater variety of wrong (and most of it costs over $1,000).
A thousand ways to make the wrong choice