What’s your favorite OTR Daily Driver

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
I haven’t bonded with the latest custom board that I bought and I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole again. I’m looking for a tried and true NC San Diego daily driver. It doesn’t have to grovel, I have that covered with my RNF 96.Curious to hear what everyone likes and why. Will be surfing mostly beach breaks with it.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
We've had a boat load of Sharpeye boards pass through our house in the past 8 or 9 years. Their HT2 and Inferno 72 models both worked insane for my son and for me the Disco and Disco Cheater are favorites of mine being old and slow.
Yeah man. Inferno 72 goes insane in beach breaks. Can't go wrong with an OTR Ghost too if it's big, barreling.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
go to Pyzel Oceanside showroom and get yourself a Pyzalien 2

you will be covered from waist high to overhead in beach breaks…RNF96 will take care of the rest & below that

those 2 boards have the biggest range of anything I’ve tried personally

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
From what I hear, the RNF has a lot of range and I think most would consider it a DD for that area. Is there something specific your looking to gain or just wanting to try something else?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
My old RNFs (when the year was actually the year it was and not part of the model name) seemed to want a bigger wave to get going. They weren't really grovelers. Using them as twins they worked from about waist plus to overhead. Only issue I had with them was on fast, steep waves, too much water would get under the nose and they could get squirely, thought this didn't seem to be an issue for Chris Ward or Corey Lopez for some reason...

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
Pyzel P2 is pretty safe bet. Versatile rocker for SoCal, IMO. Phantom could also work but doesn’t seem to be as universally loved.
Pyzalien 2, highline, and red tiger all feel great. Pretty good low end but can handle waves bigger than they should probably be out in

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
From what I hear, the RNF has a lot of range and I think most would consider it a DD for that area. Is there something specific your looking to gain or just wanting to try something else?
I’m looking for something a little different. I love the RNF! I just want to get DD thruster to add to the quiver.

Reactions: trifish

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
Pyzalien 2, highline, and red tiger all feel great. Pretty good low end but can handle waves bigger than they should probably be out in
Pyzalien 2 and Red Tiger are both on the list. So is the Neckbeard 3 and HED. Also considering the Rusty SD. Any board I get will probably be in old man dims.

Reactions: tedshred5

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
We've had a boat load of Sharpeye boards pass through our house in the past 8 or 9 years. Their HT2 and Inferno 72 models both worked insane for my son and for me the Disco and Disco Cheater are favorites of mine being old and slow.
Haven’t considered Sharpeye. I’ll take a look. Thanks!

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Reactions: OsideBum

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
The daily driver type board is probably what I plot the most on. Have several old ones that are still decent but usually buy 3 or so a year.

Notables:

OG Flyer: Probably most user friendly easy to surf. Good range but sometimes I wish it was a little more spicy, it's so dependable it almost becomes a little monotonous at times.

Sub Driver: Great board, a bit more locked in feeling and driven than the Flyer but not as easy to turn.

Inferno 72: Love this board (most of the time). Extremely loose and fast rail to rail but sometimes at speed board is hard to control. Feel like it works better in slower softer waves where you generate speed vs wave giving you speed.

Stamps Flare: looks and sized more on the grovel end but has surprising amount of drive and hold. Can't get off this board right now. GX is probably more of a DD than Flare but only had one years ago that I ordered too short. Have a 6'0 GX coming to compliment the Flare.

Lost beach Buggy: This model didn't get a lot of attention when it was released 10 plus years ago but works so well in tight transition beach breaks. Turns on a dime.