Wetsuit Jackets

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
don't bother with Vissa , Toes on the Nose Ive had for 5 years plus best yet , fall in Basque Country perfect and the bottom waist zip actually works

nrthcty

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 30, 2009
N.S.D
buy
Ditto I have reactor top no technobutter kinda hard to get on sometimes need help from wife but also harder to pull up and I never use loop to trunk ties.
i buy pullovers from rip curl outlet in san clemente - 2 for $40.00 is the deal they usually have - I am both broad and fat but I can get it on and off no prob

Reactions: rowjimmytour

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
is there a difference between wetsuit jacket and neoprene top?

I swear by a long sleeve neo pullover ....

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
buy

i buy pullovers from rip curl outlet in san clemente - 2 for $40.00 is the deal they usually have - I am both broad and fat but I can get it on and off no prob
They always have that running?? I'm about ready for a new top.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Hurley is half off on their website. How's the fit? I've read that they run really small.
Their fullsuits fit me fine as of 3-4 years ago so I wouldn't say they run small.

IMHO the front zips probably suck. Metal right on the deck, all your weight, either straight on or straight next to the stringer sounds no bueno. Denting, dinging...it looks like some hipster fashion sh!t to me.

But the adverts for zip fronts with the hot chicks, slutty countenance, with big, perky, hogans are top notch no doubt.

I love the things with no zip or the little back zip. I have a 2:1 longsleeve excel and a shortsleeve rip curl.
Glorious for the first fronts of fall when the water is still warm but it's windy/cloudy cool. Everyone throws on their shortsleeve fulls with the water 74 degrees and you know they'll be slow-to-the-jump coldsoft pussies come January. Or they'll be rowing rubber in a 4/3.
Glorious for the days that cook it from 68 to 70 in the spring.
Glorious for Treasure Coast/Palm Beaches. You get that air 30s/water 70s thing going.

Reactions: surfapotomus

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I’m a big fan of them. Keep you way warmer. Best I’ve had was an O’Neil with a small 1/4 zip on the low back. Made on/off basic.

Now I’ve got this. It’s decent but a bit hard to get off.

I have this and I haaaate it. It fits weird and has too much room in the traps. It constantly fills with water in the belly. Mine is made in China and I know I saw some posts on here that they moved production to Sheico so maybe they're better now?

At the time I was also eyeing the Isurus top but figured it was worth shelling out >$100 on just a top. Big regret.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Have a 2mil mostly smoothskin Xcel Axis with a small 1/4 back zip that works well. Not sure if they still make.

I don't really like ones with no smoothskin and no zipper. My use case is a cooler morning with some wind so smoothskin is pretty key and they are impossible to get on/off without at least a small zipper. I find the cheaper/thinner regular neoprene with no zip more trouble than they are worth.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
have had the older O’Neil with the partial back zip and liked it less than the newer one I have with no zipper no draw cord. old one was stiffer and ballooned with water easier.

+1 on nogo for these in heavy surf. It’ll pull over your head on a tumbling wipeout cord to your trunks or not. Stick to the Kelly Slatan springer there.

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
I could see why everyone likes the O'neill. It was a poor fit for me though. I really liked the Isurus too. I just didn't want to throw down $100+ for something I only wear a few times each year.

I went with the Billabong Revolution. The fit was spot on and I found a good deal on it.