Wet suit repair

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Wetsuit manufacturers calls it that, but I'd bet a seamstress would call it something else. I say that after watching some YouTube videos on hand blind stitches for clothing to refresh my memory — and none of it looking right. But this image is pretty helpful to give you the general idea of the stitch.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 7.02.30 PM.png

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I use this one. It slightly melts (I think) both surfaces and bonds them together. The glue doesn't leave a hard residue. If you get a inflexible glue surface the wetsuit will crack at the border of the glue and wetsuit.
1663755091550.png

Reactions: PRCD

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I use this one. It slightly melts (I think) both surfaces and bonds them together. The glue doesn't leave a hard residue. If you get a inflexible glue surface the wetsuit will crack at the border of the glue and wetsuit.
View attachment 138266
I used a similar product only it came in a can. I ended up using it preventatively, applying it to leaky seams, places that were showing wear, etc.

This was done in addition to periodically taking a lighter and melting any loose threads popping up particularly at the bar tacks. I do this with everything, shoes/boots, clothes, bags/packs, anything sewn pretty much.

At some point I realized it wasn’t the fabric that was failing…

Last edited:
Reactions: slipped_disc

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
GearAid Aquaseal

If you're near NCSD, can drop off or ship to Swell Stuff in Leucadia

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
The Patagonia Worn Work Truck has come through the Bay Area a few times and has done on-site free repairs. I haven't seen it come through in a while, but the website is still up though the schedule seems stationary for the moment. Maybe they are done for the summer? I suppose you could put in a request for a SoCal visit. Great repairs on wetsuits, shirts, pants, etc.

Where-can-I-find-the-Worn-Wear-Truck

Reactions: Chocki