Waxing a tailpad?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I used to put some wax on my tailpad back in the mid-to-late 90's when I was doing some comps, probably because I saw one of the the Momentum crew doing it and thought they must be in the know.

I recently saw Kolohe do it in the 1st episode of SITD and it reminded me that I used to do the same, but haven't done so forever. This last Friday I went for a backside reverse off the whitewater and both of my feet slipped, causing me to do a reduced variation of the splits which was pretty painful for a minute and felt like it was close to doing the inside of my back knee some damage.

Anyone waxing their tailpad? I seriously can't remember what temp wax I used to use and if it was more of a PIA than it helped. All the pads on my borts are Pro-Lite Microdot V2 models, which don't have very aggressive grooves.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Depends on the pad but mostly no. Prolite is not as grippy as some. My current favorite is the FCS Chloe pad which has pretty aggressive bumps.... funny cause it's the pad you saw chloe waxing lol

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I had a period where I did it years back, then I realized how nasty it made the pad for little to no advantage in grip so I stopped. I don’t like those slick-style pads, though, so I stick with the ones with more aggressive bumps.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
This came up a while back and I think it was H_T said something in wax plus something in tailpads makes the tailpad more slick once the wax isn't fresh so you'd need to keep waxing it. He was chem industry and quite possibly the only one of you degenerates other than McShots to properly appreciate the Porto-jetty stretch.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I used to stick some on my kicktail. My bare feet would get super dusty getting down to the beach and always be slippery on my first few waves. Sticking a little on my kicktail would cause the wax to rub off onto my feet when duckdiving to get out so they were tacky for the first set. It helped some, but definitely got nasty. Eventually I just started rubbing my feet into the wax on the center of the board while sitting before going for my first wave.

Reactions: oeste858

LoganV

OTF status
Sep 29, 2010
I always wax my pads with softer wax. I wax a lot though, a lot. Rational: rather wax too much than slip and waste a good wave.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Seeing this thread is the first time in my life that I’ve ever even thought about waxing a tailpad.

:foreheadslap:
And there you thought you knew how to surf!!

Waxing a tailpad. Sheesh.

Surfers analize over the most trivia, nonsensical bull.

But if a guy has to analize, take Stringcheese's suggestion.

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Kauai
I do it like this just so my foot doesn’t slip off the tail. Grip and board feel is way better and I can catch the delams that normally happen underneath the pad.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: Clayster