Waterproofing cuts...and small waves suck!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
For yours truly this summer has sucked for surfing. Been mostly small. At the beginning of summer I got hit by my surfboard in the ass and that sidelined me for quite a while.

Then this past week I was walking down the trail to my local. I normally wear boots or my dive booties down this trail, but it's summer so I was in flip flops. At the bottom of the trail my left foot hit some sand covered rocks and slid forward and my right knee went down. Think of a a ball player sliding into second base.

I thought the srapes were really superficial but now I have thick scabs. It's keeping me out of the water because the waves locally still suck but there's some swell on the radar for next week.

isn't there some kind of spray that will waterproof cuts?

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Ouch! Amazon is your friend. Enter ‘spray on waterproof bandage’ delivered the next day if you’re a Pime member. Curad is supposed to be pretty good. G’luck!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
john4surf said:
Ouch! Amazon is your friend. Enter ‘spray on waterproof bandage’ delivered the next day if you’re a Pime member. Curad is supposed to be pretty good. G’luck!

Have you used it surfing?

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
I'm a fan of just leaving them open and letting them dry out.

Obviously they're not going to dry in the ocean but if you're worried about funk starting to grow in there post surf you can just pour some peroxide on the wounds after.

This to me is one of those Mother Nature knows best deals.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
patrolman said:
john4surf said:

Have you used it surfing?
No. My last injury was a fin to the forehead. Went to emergency and got it stitched up, back to the beach and some vaseline over the stitches and all was good. The waterproof spray bandage would e my choice if my injury was on the shin/leg like yours. G’luck

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
CharmingSophisticate said:
I'm a fan of just leaving them open and letting them dry out.

Obviously they're not going to dry in the ocean but if you're worried about funk starting to grow in there post surf you can just pour some peroxide on the wounds after.

This to me is one of those Mother Nature knows best deals.
Not worried about funk. I want to surf and I've had cuts before that took months to heal because I just kept surfing. I once had a cut on my knee that started off about the size of a dime. I kept surfing and it got smaller in area but deeper and deeper. At point it was like 1/4" wide and 1/4" deep, just this deep little crater.

These are not deep but cover a fairy large area. It could get ugly if I follow my past behavior.

I guess I'll only surf if it gets really good.

Online reviews of the waterproof sprays are not promising for surfing. They might keep it dry for the duration of a shower., not an active surf session.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
sd_101 said:
Yeah, I’ve gotten those slow healing deep ones, too.

Never had a real good solution. All the waterproof liquid bandages I’ve used still let water in.

Vaseline sounds plausible.

Vaseline would help if it was wetsuit season. But it's trunk time and I think the vaseline would be gone in 10 minutes.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Clean and dry is typically best until a decent scab forms. I'm not a big fan of the liquid "bandages". I'm also not a big fan of surfing with deep wounds. Gunk is one thing but possible infection is a bigger one. However, to each his/her own I guess.