Waterproof Pouch for Car Key

Aug 24, 2006
The Armpit of SoCal
So, I got a new car and I have an electronic key/alarm. It does have a removable key, but I won't be able to set the alarm if I use it. Does anyone have some recommendations for a key pouch I can cram into my wetsuit?

I'm not too trusting of a good ol' Ziploc.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
yeah but test key first, i bought one and key didn't fit.
another option is hitch safe if you have a hitch. I've used that for 5 years and it's sweet.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
VaB said:
yeah but test key first, i bought one and key didn't fit.
another option is hitch safe if you have a hitch. I've used that for 5 years and it's sweet.
Yeah, same thing happened to me. I saw that the key was the right length to fit in but it was too thick to close properly. Luckily it was just plastic that I was able to Dremel off

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I had the same problem with my key fob not fitting into the lock box. This worked for me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C2B243G/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1421263991&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
I drive a Prius with a "smart key" or whatever they brand it. The one where if you have the key in your pocket it will automatically unlock the door when you try to open it. It is a proximity sensor. So even if you lock the thing in the Master Lock lockbox posted above, you gotta be sure that the lockbox is placed far enough away from your car that the proximity sensor doesn't detect your key. For me, locking to my tow loops on the frame or door handles isn't far enough away. I lock it to a fence closer to the beach or a chain in the lot or something (i have a place at each spot i surf). If this becomes an issue for you, i've heard that you can wrap your key in aluminum foil to block the signal but haven't tried personally.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I use these sometimes: Clicky
Basically a waterproof ziploc. Then I stick it in a small zipper bag with a strap and stick it under my wetsuit. Pain in the ass but it works.

If you don't have a push button start like on a Prius, you can just get a regular key made and take that in the water. Leave the other one in the car. I do that with my Sienna van. If you have a new car, the alarm is probably activated when you lock the doors regardless if use the remote to engage the locks or just lock the doors manually.

With my Prius, there is button under the steering wheel that turns off the ability of the key to start the car (unless it is in the key slot) and open the locks. I remove the door lock key and take that in the water and hide the remote key in the car.

One thing good about a Land Rover is the keys are waterproof.

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
Thanks for the heads up re: the button under the steering column. I'm gonna experiment with that. Without using that button, my doors auto unlock on attempt at opening anywhere you stash the electronic fob inside the car. If far enough away from the front doors, then the back hatch auto unlocks. Is humbug.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Put the fob inside an altoids tin. I have the base level 2010 prius which does not have the auto unlock for the trunk. I can put the keyfob in trunk area and lock the car.

I've also heard that if you leave the fob in the car and lock the door with the actual key in the door it will ignore the fob. Never tried that though.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Colin said:
I drive a Prius with a "smart key" or whatever they brand it. The one where if you have the key in your pocket it will automatically unlock the door when you try to open it. It is a proximity sensor. So even if you lock the thing in the Master Lock lockbox posted above, you gotta be sure that the lockbox is placed far enough away from your car that the proximity sensor doesn't detect your key. For me, locking to my tow loops on the frame or door handles isn't far enough away. I lock it to a fence closer to the beach or a chain in the lot or something (i have a place at each spot i surf). If this becomes an issue for you, i've heard that you can wrap your key in aluminum foil to block the signal but haven't tried personally.
Your Prius doesn't have the little valet key thing?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I have a prius too; the detachable valet key is money for surfing. You can leave the "smart key" in the car.

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
Do you mean the key that pops out of the smart key? Thats what is been doing. Leave smart key in car and lock the valet key in the master lock combination box. I would lock the car manually using the valet key in the front drivers door. I did this forever without really testing. Last weekend I thought to test my back hatch and it opened automatically. Unlocked on open attempt then was able to open the hatch. The smart key deal was inside the car close to the back hatch. I will play with placement. If can disable the smart key with a button then problem is solved.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Yeah. That's what I was referring to. I'll have to double check my locks. Thanks.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Colin said:
Do you mean the key that pops out of the smart key? Thats what is been doing. Leave smart key in car and lock the valet key in the master lock combination box. I would lock the car manually using the valet key in the front drivers door. I did this forever without really testing. Last weekend I thought to test my back hatch and it opened automatically. Unlocked on open attempt then was able to open the hatch. The smart key deal was inside the car close to the back hatch. I will play with placement. If can disable the smart key with a button then problem is solved.
Weird. I always try one of the doors after I lock it and its fine. However, I take the valet key with me in my wetsuit

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
Check um. I always checked my door handles and all good. For whatever reason last weekend I checked my hatch and da buggah went open!

FishFace

Miki Dora status
Aug 8, 2009
Del Mar, CA
go to your branded car dealership parts counter. tell them you want an unchipped key made to unlock your doors... some of the dealers in SD call it a surfers key. $10 or less.

stick that key in the realtors lockbox thing like was suggested.

while youre at the parts counter ask em how much a new replacement key will be in case you waterlog your original chipped key... you wont like the answer.... $$$$$$

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
valet key on the prius is awesome. I got a new car and only have electronic key, I took my wifes prius and no complaints from her.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Colin said:
Im pretty sure when you lock it with the valet key it disables the remote key?? if not I think a lot of people are in trouble??

Aug 24, 2006
The Armpit of SoCal
I have a 2012 Camry. It has the unlock on approach. The trunk will only open if I have the FOB and I push the button on the trunk. I don't have a tow hitch. I'm not sure where I'd put the lock box. I do have the little key that pops out of the FOB. Is that the valet key? I know replacement FOB's are super pricey.