Watch Out, Epsilon Coming Through

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
We have light wind and some waist to chest high surf. 80 degrees and 68 degree water. Tomorrow supposed to be the same and well overhead. I don’t even know what to say. Surfed yesterday with a “crowd” of 5 neighbors. Best time of year out here.
Looked terrible early this morning here but is filling in nicely now. Hopefully the crowds here won't be as insane as they were for Paulette and Teddy but I doubt it.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Florida’s been getting shafted windwise this fall. Friday - Sunday look super fun here in SENC
This. We haven't had good winds and anything over knee high probably since February.

It's so junky low tide is basically worthless.

I'm honestly just glad it backed off the 20kt Northeast winds for a week we've had with

Every.
Fucking.
Swell.
This.
Fucking.
Year.

And now it's down to 10-15kt onshore at all fucking hours of the goddamned motherfucking day.

It's fucking late October and it's been low 80s and sticky.

Hurricane season needs to fuck off and die. Bring on Winter.

Edit: just checked. Onshore and way too warm for this time of year into November. Through Nov 5th, 0 offshore winds, 0 nights in the 50s. We have had like 2 nights in the 60s since April.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I'm cautiously optimistic for several days worth of fun surf here, starting with an afternoon session if the swell builds as forecast. wife said there were some guys out, even on shortboards, for the morning low tide, but pretty small still. Wind should stay calm all day, so an afternoon session of glassy chest or even head high waves wouldn't go amiss

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Can confirm the sh!t winds here in Florida. I was in the mood for onshore early in the week but now I'm just tired of it. My car is covered in that salt spray mist it looks like a Matte Black paintjob. Weather pattern has been so odd there's systems everywhere around the FL Peninsula so it's rain-wind-sun rinse and repeat, but on the bright side I'm thankful I didn't have to do any hurricane prep at all this year (knock on wood).

I noticed winds here in Brevard Co are much stronger than Duval. I may drive back home to Jax on the weekend just to get a break from this.

I would say the back side of Isaias, has been the best so far this season. That was a wonderful day of surf boarding

Last edited:

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I'm cautiously optimistic for several days worth of fun surf here, starting with an afternoon session if the swell builds as forecast. wife said there were some guys out, even on shortboards, for the morning low tide, but pretty small still. Wind should stay calm all day, so an afternoon session of glassy chest or even head high waves wouldn't go amiss
does the fog keep the wind down or the wind being down allow fog to build in?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Can confirm the sh!t winds here in Florida. I was in the mood for onshore early in the week but now I'm just tired of it. My car is covered in that salt spray mist it looks like a Matte Black paintjob. Weather pattern has been so odd there's systems everywhere around the FL Peninsula so it's rain-wind-sun rinse and repeat, but on the bright side I'm thankful I didn't have to do any hurricane prep at all this year (knock on wood).

I noticed winds here in Brevard Co are much stronger than Duval. I may drive back home to Jax on the weekend just to get a break from this.

I would say the back side of Isaias, has been the best so far this season. That was a wonderful day of surf boarding
The sandbars are in decent shape in the Jax Beaches. Low tide has looked like a mushed out lost at sea sit-fest this week, but high tide has been working well underneath. Maybe the swell will go 10-12 secs and if it's not too windy, low tide will start working. We are coming off that big moon tide cycle so by the weekend, high tide might not be as high as it'd like. Might be a tighter window, maybe more closed out.

Reactions: McHatin

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I just got out of the water . Chest to slightly overhead medium period groundswell with light to no wind (onshore when it is). I feel like I’m on a surf trip. Rights... lefts... breaks up and down the beach.

Another win for the nautilus.

Reactions: the janitor

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Okay after today's lunch session, I think this weekend's energy is at risk of overwhelming the inside in Jax Beach. Earlier in the week, 6.2' of tide on it, period a little shorter, it was setting up sections. Today, it was kind of drawing too much water off the shelf and shutting down. Lots of nuggets pop up, then hit the ledge and wall out, not enough green water underneath.

Mickler's or the Guanas might be worth a look at high tide this weekend depending. Or maybe the longer period will cap more out the back and set up better.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Glassy chest to head peaks with varying backwash explosions both places I surfed early in the day yesterday. Early was 4-6 guys every block, left that at lunchtime relocated a mile down the beach with just me my buddy and a bodyboarder. Pretty fun and starting to hurt after three days. Big bump up called for into the weekend the metropolis dwellers have already started rolling in enmasse.