Watch out! Cyclist coming through

Jul 21, 2015
Nice!!! Please give a proper downlow once you've ridden it... How are you going to build it? GRX? AXS? 1x? 2x? I really like my Bruce Gordon RnR tires but the Soma Cazaderos are worth a look too. I think when my RnR rear gets worn I will but a Caz in the back.

Stoked for you. Enjoy!

I am planning a trip up to Mt. Tam early next year. Gonna stop by BMC when in the hood.

New bike frame is en route from Taiwan onboard the YM Uniform.

Current location:

View attachment 101713

Somewhere in January, should have the completed bike.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
So our favorite local trail was closed for 2 months due to the fire. It reopened this past week for a day. We drove up the next day to a ranger truck blocking the trail entrance: mountain lion spotted at the top of the downhill. Now, new fire in the area. SMH

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Nice!!! Please give a proper downlow once you've ridden it... How are you going to build it? GRX? AXS? 1x? 2x? I really like my Bruce Gordon RnR tires but the Soma Cazaderos are worth a look too. I think when my RnR rear gets worn I will but a Caz in the back.

Stoked for you. Enjoy!

I am planning a trip up to Mt. Tam early next year. Gonna stop by BMC when in the hood.

Am putting on my old 9-speed XTR drivetrain on it (w/ 177.5 cranks and, gasp, triple ring up front!).

(Why, because I have the parts, they are in very good shape and have come to prefer cadence over grinding my knees to dust as I age. When I wear these parts out in a few years, will probably go 2x up front and wider range 10/11 out back.)

Also will chuck a flat bar on it.

Why, because I have new old stock titanium bar that I've had for a long time now that needs to be used rather than admired. I may even put on some bar ends. (More new old stock...I figure they are about 25 yrs old....god lord, look what having garage (storage) space has done to me!

Actually the only brand new parts are frameset, wheels and tires and axles, brakes (have the levers), discs, and stem. Rest is older parts I already have.

The build is going to me more urban rider in a hilly city with occasional trail use so I prefer the heads-up position to aid in visual awareness and maybe to help out my less flexible aging back. Maybe if I ever ride down to Santa Cruz again, the curly bars will go on.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2015
Sounds like an awesome, well contemplated build!

177.5?! How tall are you? I am all for spinning as well. But I run 160 or 165 cranks.

Am putting on my old 9-speed XTR drivetrain on it (w/ 177.5 cranks and, gasp, triple ring up front!).
(Why, because I have the parts, they are in very good shape and have come to prefer cadence over grinding my knees to dust as I age.

Jul 21, 2015
Not sure if you are in OC but another fire in Silverado =/

So our favorite local trail was closed for 2 months due to the fire. It reopened this past week for a day. We drove up the next day to a ranger truck blocking the trail entrance: mountain lion spotted at the top of the downhill. Now, new fire in the area. SMH

• Sad
Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
flag
BikesBoatsNJeeps (17 hours ago)
No place for feet... No brake.

Specialized makes $1000 strider, misses market completely.

Beeg issues !
2 brakes: a left and right one! :D

I wanna know who is going to buy their kid a $1k push bike that they'll outgrow in a few months. My older son started riding his pedal bike at 2.5 y.o., no push bike. For my younger son, I just took his cranks off his bike, and then put them back on when he was ready to start pedaling. Took him longer to figure it out (4.5 y.o.).

Reactions: Driftcoast

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Sounds like an awesome, well contemplated build!

177.5?! How tall are you? I am all for spinning as well. But I run 160 or 165 cranks.
Not that tall really. Closer to 6'4" than 6'3", but really, 2.5 mm more than the usual 175 isn't really all that big of a deal.

I like the leverage longer crank arms provide for the steeper hills.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
You’re speaking a different language to me. I’m new again to biking. I’ll have to check later when I set up some of the stuff on it.

In the gravel world wheels are either 700c or 650b. More off road drop bar bikes are trending to the smaller 650b wheels because they allow for more tire clearance and higher volume tires.