Watch out! Cyclist coming through

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
seriously though...I started looking at bike stuff to translate the backpacking
stuff over to long distance thru-biking.

have you seen http://www.reddit.com/r/MYOG

holy sh!t....next level!

I need a sewing machine...I could make my own frame bags and panniers
We were originally looking to make a bike packing trip this summer, when we went to Colorado. Couldn't find another family to shuttle with. Didn't want to depend on random trail angels. Camping and mtbing sounds awesome. So does the Maah Daah Hey Trail.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
We were originally looking to make a bike packing trip this summer, when we went to Colorado. Couldn't find another family to shuttle with. Didn't want to depend on random trail angels. Camping and mtbing sounds awesome. So does the Maah Daah Hey Trail.
A Lancer in the canyon driving out today. 2 lane road through a canyon. Don't want to make a 10 minute drive into 25 minutes. V8, torque. Pass and let god be Happy.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Just built my new Huffy. Jamis Expat steel frame/cabron fork I picked up off Clist and pieced together. Wanted to try buliding a bike, a little bigger frame and disc brakes. I'm on the top end of the frame size on my other bike. Probably get rid of the Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross and keep this one.

1602830584009.jpeg

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
seriously though...I started looking at bike stuff to translate the backpacking
stuff over to long distance thru-biking.

have you seen http://www.reddit.com/r/MYOG

holy sh!t....next level!

I need a sewing machine...I could make my own frame bags and panniers
That's why my Surly has a rack that everybody laughed at. :poop:

I've been building up a light bikepacking setup for the La Niña season.

Baja
7E230720-C4D3-4650-90DB-7E93BE9ABB43.jpeg

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I don't know of any "used outlets" other than Pink Bike, Craigslist and Ebay.

There certainly must be a used bike buying philosophy, but I've never seen one written down (and I haven't looked for such a thing). Maybe developing your own might help get you want/need for less $$, though sometimes more $$ = less headache.

Here would be my starting thoughts on such a used bike buying philosophy:

1 get up to speed with some bike terminology, knowledge is power!

2 try/inspect before you buy (new or used)

3 know your components/parts (aka 'do some homework')

4 frames are more important than "parts"

5 Are you handy, do you have some tools, do you like to tinker, stuff wears out and needs replacing and small jobs you do can save you labor costs.

6 Great wheels and tires can make up for lesser parts and can bring to life less state of the art frames

7 Everyone likes having the best, but doing more with less can be totally satisfying, so don't cater to snobbery (your own and others)

8 Don't buy cheap just for the sake of low price...poor can't afford to be cheap/wasteful and cheap crap is wasteful and a pain to deal with

9 big brands exist for a reason and therefore can offer a degree of "certainty of quality" but at the same time, I sometimes curse their proprietary parts/fittings

10 know yourself (no lying to yourself) and your purpose for the purchase
Thanks Mr doof!

I’m narrowing it down and deciding between a few different Kona models. My intense biker buddy is chirping in my ear like crazy. Telling me to stick with a 1:1 gear ratio For simplicity and avoid drop bars.

I’m mainly trying to decide between drops and flat bar.

I think I want drops. I have experience with them and want a bike that I can take on and off road, and for some longer distances. What’s the Errb say about drop vs flat?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Guilty as charged. I have a POS off brand mountain bike that I ride on the boardwalk and/or around town. bought It years ago with the idea of trail riding but living here I just ride it. Anyway, LB is such a beach and boardwalk town that people ride every type of bike imaginable

Reactions: PPK96754

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Hell the casualty count just on the streets and boardwalk of LB are startling enough.