Watch out! Cyclist coming through

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
As far as archer vs arrow? It’s kind of the arrow at least when it comes to dh speed. Triplets, equal skill: brother on FS Enduro beats brother on FS Trail beats brother on Hardtail. A FS Enduro is capable of going so fast it’s scary. I’ve nicknamed mine the Valkyrie because if I’m not careful it will take me to Valhalla. It’s going to take years to even come close to unlocking it’s full potential.

That said Hardtail will 100% make you a better rider/easier to learn wheelies, manuals, and bunny hops than a FS. They do kind of beat you up though so I can see why anyone over 40 might not want to go there. I put Cushcore in my tires and it made a big difference in dampening, traction and speed.
Very true.
My Megatower tried to kill me a few times.
A bit too much of a bike for me at my age.
I can enjoy it on a good day when everything just comes together, when I have solid confidence and good feel for the bike.
Sometimes I just feel the bike is taking me for a ride and I'm just a passenger. That's the worst.

It's kind of like riding a slower car on the limit vs riding a fast car at half throttle. Smaller car will always be more fun because you're hitting the rev limiter.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Help me find a new mountain bike, I was eyeing the canyon spectral CF7 or maybe the Neuron but I read some concerns about the integrated seatpost clamp and minimum height which makes me worry about it being a good fit for a short guy like me. Would prefer to keep it under $4k

Reactions: Ifallalot

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Help me find a new mountain bike, I was eyeing the canyon spectral CF7 or maybe the Neuron but I read some concerns about the integrated seatpost clamp and minimum height which makes me worry about it being a good fit for a short guy like me. Would prefer to keep it under $4k
1)Neither of those bikes have a Head Tube Angle (HTA) of <= 64.5 deg. Aka “slack, aggressive, new school” geometry. They’re also kind of short in the sizing/reach #s. I’m 5’10 and I like 450mm

IMO there are no drawbacks to 64.5 deg HTAs, only benefits.

B. In my world there’s only rowdy hardtails or Enduro bikes. A rowdy Hardtail especially with Cushcore will handle anything a trail bike can. Enduro bikes cost the same as trail bikes but can race Enduro and shred the bikepark. You can always add more air or volume reducing spacers to shocks so why not get the most travel for your money?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
1)Neither of those bikes have a Head Tube Angle (HTA) of <= 64.5 deg. Aka “slack, aggressive, new school” geometry. They’re also kind of short in the sizing/reach #s. I’m 5’10 and I like 450mm

IMO there are no drawbacks to 64.5 deg HTAs, only benefits.

B. In my world there’s only rowdy hardtails or Enduro bikes. A rowdy Hardtail especially with Cushcore will handle anything a trail bike can. Enduro bikes cost the same as trail bikes but can race Enduro and shred the bikepark. You can always add more air or volume reducing spacers to shocks so why not get the most travel for your money?
The Cushcore looks like it really helps with the chunder sections. I need to try that tire lever too:

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
Best dropper evar. I have it on both of my MTBs (2019)

Simple and most importantly cable actuated.

Whatever you do, do not buy a Reverb. It sucks donkey balls.

SRAM is just sucky in general but Reverb is especially bad because they unnecessarily over engineered it.
It always feels soggy and sticky because of the hydraulic actuation and bleeding the fluid is a pain in the ass.
Bikeyoke for the revive feature. Fuck reverbs!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

At $3999, this bike meets at least one of your needs.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Why do you hate elevation so much?
we don't have any here.

also...after riding the single for so long I also got really good at routemaking

I ate midride and drank drank drank and I was still fkn spaced out the rest of the day

no one is taking the covid bait....?!?!

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
  • Sad
Reactions: rice