Von Sol Shadow: Review and Pics

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
This is my third thread in a row about this board, but I wanted to document it here for whoever might stumble onto this thread in the future like I did.

I finally got to try out my 6'6" x 21.5" x 2.75" twin shadow with VS twins out in bigger waves this week and WOW, so much stock. Yesterday there were some sets in the 1.5-2x OH range and I caught them without any hesitation, but it's also a blast on the smaller waves (ridden down to waist the shoulder so far). I envisioned this board for the two spots I surfed the last two days that can occasionally throw a barrel but after are running walls with a few turn sections.

Both spots tend to have quite a bit of water moving around and this board has great paddled power, it was easy to hunt down outside and inside peaks, even with the current pumping.

On my backhand this thing really surprised me, I stuck the biggest backside air drop I've ridden out and immediately was projected down the line like nothing happened - not normal for me. It also is really easy to throw it up into the lip backhand, not that I go to noon but it's easy and fun.

Frontside I got two waves that were exactly what I hoped for with this spot/board. Steep drop off the ledge with lots of speed into a top turn, quick pump down the line into a cover up, followed by as many turns as you can muster down the line. It held through turns in steep sections without hesitation. I find this board so user friendly, the whole thing is a sweet spot.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
This is my third thread in a row about this board, but I wanted to document it here for whoever might stumble onto this thread in the future like I did.

I finally got to try out my 6'6" x 21.5" x 2.75" twin shadow with VS twins out in bigger waves this week and WOW, so much stock. Yesterday there were some sets in the 1.5-2x OH range and I caught them without any hesitation, but it's also a blast on the smaller waves (ridden down to waist the shoulder so far). I envisioned this board for the two spots I surfed the last two days that can occasionally throw a barrel but after are running walls with a few turn sections.

Both spots tend to have quite a bit of water moving around and this board has great paddled power, it was easy to hunt down outside and inside peaks, even with the current pumping.

On my backhand this thing really surprised me, I stuck the biggest backside air drop I've ridden out and immediately was projected down the line like nothing happened - not normal for me. It also is really easy to throw it up into the lip backhand, not that I go to noon but it's easy and fun.

Frontside I got two waves that were exactly what I hoped for with this spot/board. Steep drop off the ledge with lots of speed into a top turn, quick pump down the line into a cover up, followed by as many turns as you can muster down the line. It held through turns in steep sections without hesitation. I find this board so user friendly, the whole thing is a sweet spot.
Making me wish I'd traded or bought that thing. Stoked for you.

Reactions: MathDebater

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Roughly 8 years ago, I picked up a 5'8" shadow off craigslist. It was from an early run glassed by Moonlight. Blue bottom lap, red pinline, clear gloss coat, custom. Beautiful second hand board.

I was living within walking distance of some good reefs at the time, and I rode the board almost exclusively for a year or more. It was magic.

So I tried to get another one for redundancy. The board was feeling extra lively and magic, and you know what that can mean... So I grabbed a 5'7" hydroflex off CL... Total dud.

I toyed with getting one of the eps construction shadows going around, but they just felt terrible under my arm.

In retrospect, I should have just ordered a copy through Sean, but until I got around to that, she's been on ice in a corner of my house.

Instead, the universe eventually came through for my lazy ass last week.

As many of us do here in SD, I was browsing the board source website, and I'll be damned if there isn't another moonlight glassed shadow, gloss finish... a 5'8"!

I called JP, picked it up, shared some stock. Riding it felt just like her sister boar! Pretty nice to have two gems from the same batch!

:shaka:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I just put one out to pasture because for me in full winter rubber dealing with strong offshores and under lip takeoff runners it proved pretty unforgiving, kinda kooked my whole winter trying to get back a session from the fall. Never happened. Frustrated as hell on it at this point. Riding a Midlength.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Ive had a few in various lengths and for me its a Swiss Army type of board. Works in many conditions and is fast and manueverable.
I’ve had quite a few of various sizes, from iirc 5’10” to a beefy 6’7”. Still one of my fav designs ever and works at all sizes scaling up. The thick 6’7” was a big/mush wave beast. My current 6’2” is prob my most hpsb for me currently. I think a 7’0” Shadow would go nuts, but if you go more than 2 5/8” on a stock the rails are chonky. I need to take mine out this week…it may come to Mex this summer.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I’ve had quite a few of various sizes, from iirc 5’10” to a beefy 6’7”. Still one of my fav designs ever and works at all sizes scaling up. The thick 6’7” was a big/mush wave beast. My current 6’2” is prob my most hpsb for me currently. I think a 7’0” Shadow would go nuts, but if you go more than 2 5/8” on a stock the rails are chonky. I need to take mine out this week…it may come to Mex this summer.
I have a 7 footer I got for post surgery surf. Now it kinda rides too big but ill prob keep it for a back up or crowd killer LOL

Reactions: SixtyGrit

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014

Von Sol twinzer fish?
If this has the same concave bottom as Shadow...this could be shite hot!
@Oceanslide or anyone got any insight?

Looks like he uses Jobson fins in a video....

Thanks!

Reactions: JDJ and oeste858

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I have had 4 shadows and have 2 now. Swiss Army knife type of board the Shadow is. I have a Twinzer Fish as well and they are definitely different boards. My Twinzer is very fast and super fun. Actually been riding it alot lately and loving the speed although hard to hop on a non-twinzer after feeling the speed.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA

Von Sol twinzer fish?
If this has the same concave bottom as Shadow...this could be shite hot!
@Oceanslide or anyone got any insight?

Looks like he uses Jobson fins in a video....

Thanks!
I had an early Von Twinzer fish, which was a phenomenal board that worked amazingly well in local beachbreak and Mexpoint surf, but it wasn’t the same design as the one pictured. I don’t know what the diff is, but I’m sure that board would rock.

Reactions: pagey and kpd73

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
It's like watching a blonde version of chubby Craig from the surfboard guide. He surfs well that's for sure.
He posted these vids 8 months ago talking about various designs. Suprised they haven't been posted here. With his longer Shadow mids he talks about running them as a twin with their forward plug placement.

Last edited: