Von Sol Manta Sizing

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Hey guys looking at a manta used. I’m 5’7 170lb and the board is 5’4 21 3/4 2 5/8. Worried it’s a bit too big, I’m mostly on boards around 28L. What’s the errb consensus say?

May 31, 2011
Hey guys looking at a manta used. I’m 5’7 170lb and the board is 5’4 21 3/4 2 5/8. Worried it’s a bit too big, I’m mostly on boards around 28L. What’s the errb consensus say?
I'm 175 lbs and ride a 5'3 for reference. You could do a 5'2, or a 5'4 if you want more volume/grovel.

Reactions: manbearpig

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Since this board is used, you should buy and, if you dig it, base a custom from the dims and tweak as needed. You’ll never find perfect dims in a used board. Those are the most common dims for a flying manta, and the second most common is the 5’6 which is a larger all around board.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I'm not exactly sure where I got this but the attachment has volumes for some models including the Manta.
Awesome thank you! I was trying to track this down. Pretty significantly more volume than what I normally use (28L) but should be good for a groveler. I’ll give it a shot, and if nothing else get one custom.

May 31, 2011
Awesome thank you! I was trying to track this down. Pretty significantly more volume than what I normally use (28L) but should be good for a groveler. I’ll give it a shot, and if nothing else get one custom.
I think you'll like the extra volume. In my opinion, it really makes a difference in a groveler. The rails are pretty foiled too so you shouldn't have any trouble sinking them.

Reactions: manbearpig

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I think you'll like the extra volume. In my opinion, it really makes a difference in a groveler. The rails are pretty foiled too so you shouldn't have any trouble sinking them.
Yea the rails would have been a make or break for me at this size but it feels super foiled out and does not feel as thick as what it says.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Has anyone had both the pointy nosed and the OG snug nosed version? How much longer on the pointy nose to achieve about the same volume? I will probably be emailing Sean for a custom soon. Had a 5'4" that was the perfect Gulf Coast groveler and want another.

May 31, 2011
Has anyone had both the pointy nosed and the OG snug nosed version? How much longer on the pointy nose to achieve about the same volume? I will probably be emailing Sean for a custom soon. Had a 5'4" that was the perfect Gulf Coast groveler and want another.
I just ordered a new custom pointed nose version from Sean. He said two inches.

FWIW I also ordered the stringered version based on his input from his personal board. It was noticeably lighter than the stringerless version. He said they glass stringerless boards 6-4/6 and and stringered versions 6-4/4