Von Sol 'Flying Manta' stub groveler

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
jbd said:
deforest said:
hahahah! Nice surfing, but where is the wave! hahaha. So funny. Thats the smallest wave ive ever seen ridden. lol.
Come to FLA in the summer sometime, that's nothing.
Yeah, this is the far upper end of grovel. Almost waist high wedge that's easy to get ahead of and e-brake.

If I was wrong about Mattison is that at least a Von Sol?

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
Sharkbiscuit said:
Yes! 100% correct on the Von Sol. Scott is manager at Aqua East.....rep for Sean.

and just for reference on grovel days here in FLA....it's all about the timing.....this is a friend of mine a few hours later...same day, better tide.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
jbd said:
Sharkbiscuit said:
Yes! 100% correct on the Von Sol. Scott is manager at Aqua East.....rep for Sean.

and just for reference on grovel days here in FLA....it's all about the timing.....this is a friend of mine a few hours later...same day, better tide.

Wow! Really nice surfing, but that seems like a big board (length) for that small of a wave. When I ride boards with a pointy nose, the nose always seems to get in the way on tight turns like that on small waves. Especially on an SKX when they are sized so much bigger. Another reason why Tomo's blunt nose or round nose boards are so functional and amazing!

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
deforest said:
jbd said:
Sharkbiscuit said:

Wow! Really nice surfing, but that seems like a big board (length) for that small of a wave. When I ride boards with a pointy nose, the nose always seems to get in the way on tight turns like that on small waves. Especially on an SKX when they are sized so much bigger. Another reason why Tomo's blunt nose or round nose boards are so functional and amazing!
For most guys that board would be a problem in tiny surf. Garrett Is one of the better surfers around here....surfs/works for team Sunrise which has won the last 4 or 5 surf shop challenges out in Cali. He's also fairly tall so that board isn't that big really.

same guy on a bigger day:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
DerDer said:
Does anyone know the current lead time for a board from Sean?
His company is usually very quick, for what it's worth. And sometimes Sean has stock inventory to choose from. Worth contacting him directly to ask.

Jan 21, 2014
DerDer said:
It’s usually between 4-6 weeks but has taken as much as 9 weeks. He makes pretty awesome boards and a cool guy to deal with. For sizing, only advice I would give is that he generally will recommend more foam then you really need. The Manta I ride in small stuff is a good 4 inches shorter, 2 inches narrower, and half an inch thinner than the original Manta I ordered from him that he recommended.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
chopz said:
DerDer said:
It’s usually between 4-6 weeks but has taken as much as 9 weeks. He makes pretty awesome boards and a cool guy to deal with. For sizing, only advice I would give is that he generally will recommend more foam then you really need. The Manta I ride in small stuff is a good 4 inches shorter, 2 inches narrower, and half an inch thinner than the original Manta I ordered from him that he recommended.
This is sage advice.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
For you big boys

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/d/custom-von-sol-flying/6588065081.html

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
DerDer said:
I don't think I've ever waited more than 5 or so weeks for any custom from him. Obviously
wait times are often due to the load on the glass shop when you order, but I've had lots
from VS and never had an extensive wait. Call him directly...he's pretty easy to deal with
and upfront about whatever you can expect via custom.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Oceanslide said:
Just got ahold of one of Sean's SeaBird models, 5'7". :jam_on: Look forward to giving it a go if the wind
and swell cooperate.

Rode this thing 3 times in waves ranging from very small, soft, and rolly with a few steeper sections, to
super low tide dumpy closeouts, to decent and clean small waves, and it's a super fun board.
Dims are, I believe, 5'7" x 22" x 2 3/4". I would have preferred a couple extra inches of length as this at 5'7"
is probably similar to a 5'5" Manta and mine are 5'8". I think a 5'9" SeaBird with the width and thickness the
same would be just right for my height (6'3") and preference. This little sled is quick and very nimble. Probably
goes rail to rail a touch faster and can do slightly tighter arcing turns than my Mantas. I couldn't catch waves
quite as well and it doesn't have quite the same immediate skate and burst, but I made some fast sections and
had a number of really snappy top turn combos and wraps that felt really good. I think it's a pretty damn
good board. Thanks to Mattison for letting me give her a go! Thought some of you might be interested...

Jul 20, 2008
Has anyone tried the Mercury Twins + Kicker with their Manta? I only have Stiletto's w/ nub right now and really like them. I may want to get another option for this board and wondering how this set works with the Manta.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
brycor564 said:
Has anyone tried the Mercury Twins + Kicker with their Manta? I only have Stiletto's w/ nub right now and really like them. I may want to get another option for this board and wondering how this set works with the Manta.
dvs quad keelz n pivot nub werks well

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
brycor564 said:
Have not tried that. I think it may be a bit too loose, but who knows! My favorites sets in mine are the Manta/Von Knight quads, the Stiletto quads, and the DVS quad keels, all with the regular nubster in the front slot unless I'm
in waves where I want to do more drawn out turns (nubster in rear slot). FWIW

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
someone convince me not to buy this
http://usedsurf.com/52-von-sol-flying-manta-used-surfboard-17296/