Volume for an EPS

manjushri

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 3, 2009
+62
Do you guys go a bit lower on your volume for an EPS? Like half a liter? a liter? thinner or tone the rails down.
I'm ordering a stringered EPS and want to nail the volume
thx

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
no, not really. but I generally only ride them in weak surf, noticed a difference at first but you get used to it after a while. board felt "more on top of the water" when first riding EPS

manjushri

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 3, 2009
+62
It really depends on the blank used.

If it's a 1.5lb EPS blank, then you could probably go down 1L.

If they're using a 2lb blank, I would just do the same literage (literage is @ghostshaper favorite word).
It really depends on the blank used.

If it's a 1.5lb EPS blank, then you could probably go down 1L.

If they're using a 2lb blank, I would just do the same literage (literage is @ghostshaper favorite word).
the factory says its 2.5 lb, but not sure, he's gonna double check

manjushri

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 3, 2009
+62
I bet it's 1.5lbs......but keep us posted.
yea its a 2 lb. blank
so you reckon don't change the dims? to keep my literage** its just a step down shortboard for smaller daze

can do a 6-4 x 4-4 or will it be heavy

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
yea its a 2 lb. blank
so you reckon don't change the dims? to keep my literage** its just a step down shortboard for smaller daze

My opinion is to keep the literage the same. A typical light or "performance" poly blank has a density around 2.2lbs I believe. So you're a lot closer to your typical poly board than if he was using a 1.5lb EPS blank. That being said, it's still lighter and you could go down 0.5L or thin the rails if it makes you feel better. Do what you're most comfortable with.

With a stringered 2lb EPS blank, I would keep your glassing schedule the same as the poly boards you typically like. No need to go heavier with this particular set-up. If it was stringerless or 1.5lb foam, then it makes sense to go heavier on the glassing.

Hopefully you'll get some other opinions too.

Reactions: manjushri

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
yea its a 2 lb. blank

You might want a little weight if your worried about winds. All my eps/epoxy 6/4 6 medium CFT accept step up is 6/6 6 heavy CFT and can barely tell difference.

Reactions: manjushri

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'd keep around my normal volume and embrace the little extra float for smaller waves.

If u want more durability without adding too much weight I like 4+4x4+4. Deck dents don't bother me but bottom dents do.