Volume Calculator...the other way?

novasteve

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 10, 2012
O'siiiide
Anybody know of somewhere online that you can input the dims of a board and get the volume? All the ones I can find are the input age, shape, experience and it gives you what you "should" be on. Looking for the other type..

voodoobrew

OTF status
Jan 8, 2007
Really? Get with a local shaper, and start from there! Give him tour dims and work from there. If you think anyone on this bb can answer this question for you, take up motocross!

novasteve

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 10, 2012
O'siiiide
Yes Really. I only ask because I'm looking at used boards and have an idea of what works for me volume wise. If you don't have an answer, don't answer the post.No need to be a d*@k

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
http://www.lostsurfboards.net/whats-your-guild-factor-surfboard-volumes-explained/

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
novasteve said:
Anybody know of somewhere online that you can input the dims of a board and get the volume? All the ones I can find are the input age, shape, experience and it gives you what you "should" be on. Looking for the other type..
There's too many variables.

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
I found this formula on swaylock... height of board in inches/2 x width x thickness all divided by 62....then you have to make another calculation if the board is over 6 ft...not sure what that was..its been generally pretty close for me....and only kind of works for poly...doesn't work at all for epoxy

boardwhore

Nep status
Sep 15, 2011
United States
donger said:
I found this formula on swaylock... height of board in inches/2 x width x thickness all divided by 62....then you have to make another calculation if the board is over 6 ft...not sure what that was..its been generally pretty close for me....and only kind of works for poly...doesn't work at all for epoxy

Originally Posted by JTS
DaMook-
Approx Volume Calculation
½ L x W x T + (10 for each inch over 6’) divide by 60.02 for liters.
Liters divided by 28.32 = cu ft

LoganV

OTF status
Sep 29, 2010
novasteve said:
-Get boardcad: http://www.boardcad.com
-Look at stock dim volume tables of desired board or similar board.
-Match volume and dims in boardcad.
-Scale to desired dims.
-> Pretty good estimate of volume

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Deck, rail and foil profiles all have significant effects on volume. Same template+thickness@ center can yield volumes that vary as much as 30% depending on how it's set up.

Aasmund

Gerry Lopez status
May 29, 2011
donger said:
Uuuhhm.. It works for poly but not for epoxy and it's based on lengthXwidthXheight? That's like saying that there's less volume in a qubic feet of poly than a qubic feet of epoxy.. Doesn't make that much sense..

And as Gdaddy commented: There's ALLOT of variables in outline, foil etc.. Way to much that you could make any sense of a formula out of it...

Get a large tank that you can fit your board in and fill it up with water. Sink your board in and have somebody mark the waterline.. Take out the board. The amount of water that you need to fill in to reach the mark is the same amount of volume that your board has..

Hungrypete did this with a ..Lost f1 and their volume numbers where pretty spot on as i remember.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I've had at least three boards in identical dims (on paper) and they're all a little different. My buddy rides the same dims and he's almost a full liter less in volume.

If I had to compare my latest HPSB to a popular model it would be a beach buggy and if you compared my board to the same dim BB on the rack you'd see quite a difference.

Only way you're gonna get precise is to talk to a shaper, or find a big name brand in a volume you like, and go from there.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I map out boards using AKU or Boardcad and while the software itself may not be real accurate in terms of volume it is at least consistent. Knowing what someone likes as a volume and incorporating that into a design takes much of the guesswork out of it.

Jan 18, 2014
everysurfr said:
Dunk the board in one of these, and measure the water rise. A horse water trough. Or make yourself a square sided box, and line it with plastic.

Sounds reasonable. Just need to remember where I stashed my horse water trough.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
retodd said:
http://www.lostsurfboards.net/whats-your-guild-factor-surfboard-volumes-explained/
thats a good indicator if you need to figure what you like. But i wish lost would stop calling them "cubic litres" there's no such thing - a litre is a volume measurement, which is 1000 cubic centimetres, no need to call it 1000 cubic, cubic centimetres!

pedantic rant off my chest!