Volcom Houses up for sale?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yep. The smart folks are seeing the writing on the wall. The sucker building the 10 mil mansion adjacent to the stream fronting Rockpile is a DUMMY.

I guess if you had money to burn the Pipe houses could be fun for a while. But that beach access is always hopping, the wave out front is dangerously crowded and just plain dangerous, and the beach park is now Mililani Town Center-by-the-sea. Enjoy.
Plus all the locals think those houses belong to them, no matter the name on the deed.

Reactions: dunnder

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
If you tear down, what is are the new building restrictions as far as building near the shoreline?
All these homes are grandfathered in with their structures.

There's an empty ocean front lot near my uncles house that is stuck. They can't build within 50 feet of the shoreline now, but the lot is horizontal in size and shallow so 50 feet back leaves very little depth in your structure.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I knew of a house near me that knocked over the old 1940's era beachfront home not realizing their grandfathered setback would go with it. Totally screwed them because the lot was small and the usable land on the lot went way down.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: racer1 and Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Not one single photo from inside the home... should be the first red flag.
They would have to be tear down and replace by now, right? Ocean front living is not easy on structures.

There's an empty ocean front lot near my uncles house that is stuck. They can't build within 50 feet of the shoreline now, but the lot is horizontal in size and shallow so 50 feet back leaves very little depth in your structure.
Drag 1/2 a mobile home onto the land? Think of the view through that big sheet of plastic!

Or do like these guys did:

1609195615786.png

Link to more.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Lego houses all over the north shore now. J.O.B.'s house looks like an office where you go to work out divorce details.

Edit: to a person seeing all of this on Google and YouTube, hell if I know really

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
They would have to be tear down and replace by now, right? Ocean front living is not easy on structures.

Drag 1/2 a mobile home onto the land? Think of the view through that big sheet of plastic!

Or do like these guys did:

View attachment 102888

Link to more.
Mobile home has to be set back even further!

A HS friend bought an empty, oceanfront lot and tried to put an RV on it, she had to put it all the way at the entrance of the lot (road side, not oceanside). Said it wasn't worth the headache, sold the RV and is still trying to sell the lot. It's in Ewa Beach, near where Oneula grew up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Doof

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
JOB built a nice and new house behind the gerry house. It's not ocean front so he didn't have to deal with shoreline restrictions. The house he grew up in is the one for sale, it's 2-3 houses down from the gerry house and is ocean front. The one that looks like a grungy tiki bar.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
The backwash at Pipe will get progressively worse every season.

I surfed Arma Hut a lot in late 60's, early 70's. Surfline added a cam last year (Rocky Lefts), the previously rare backwash appears to be 10X worse now.

Reactions: racer1

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

I surfed Arma Hut a lot in late 60's, early 70's. Surfline added a cam last year (Rocky Lefts), the previously rare backwash appears to be 10X worse now.
The ocean loves to reclaim what's duly hers for free, and hasn't really any qualms about a few thousand human lives added in there either.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

I thought it was just in my head, but Rocky Lefts is almost always backwashy. Never remember it like that.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
plus id rather plunk down that type of cash for a place in front of a wave that i can actually surf.
Without a crowd.....

Such an iconic spot. JJF. He grew up there. Looking at that spot every day in, every day out. Hours on end. That's what it takes...

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
As a tadpole.... Every day. All Day. Pipe.... Looking at Pipe. Every single day. In all of its aspects.... Growing Up on Pipe.... How good is that...