Volaris board bag policy?

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
I've paid for a board bag with Volaris. So long as the bag fits the dimensions, is it ok to bring 3 boards, or am I limited to 2 boards? I've got mixed information. Some online sites say only 2 boards per bag, but the agent just said it didn't matter if the weight and total dimensions are within their rules. Anyone have experience?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Most people I know fly Aeromexico but I think @Oceanslide and his gang flew Volaris the last time they came down. Maybe he’ll check in.

Where are you headed?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've got mixed information. Some online sites say only 2 boards per bag, but the agent just said it didn't matter if the weight and total dimensions are within their rules. Anyone have experience?
Yes.

General rule, whenever you're planning on flying with boards and there is mixed info expect to pay more. Maybe you won't, but expect it. In the case of Volaris, whatever they tell you on the phone, don't trust them.

Be very careful using their website as well - I had numerous issues trying to prepay board bags and when the transaction went though I was charged for two bags instead of one. Immediately called customer support when this happened and was told to f-ck off, that all bags purchased are non-refundable. Didn't submit a claim to my CC company because I was worried that disputing the charge would cancel both bags instead of just the one I was overcharged for.

Next, there are dimensions restrictions for surfboards - 98 inches LxWxH. Meaning just because you paid in advance to take boards they will still charge you more on top of that at the airport. They won't open the bag, but they will break out the tape measure. I was not not charged extra in TJ, but was charged extra when leaving SJC by the woman at check in who was training a new employee. She told me Volaris staff in TJ doesn't know how to do their job. This was with 3 boards.

Last edited:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Flown Volaris several times with 3 boards W/ no problems.
When you book, the system won’t let you add the “sports equipment” at checkout, but after you book, go back into “My Trips” or something and add the sporting equipment and should be no worries. Just be mindful of the weight restriction, as they’ll weigh the bag for sure.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Note, based on the 98 inches restriction if you are taking a boardbag that is 6'6 and can fit 3 boards you will likely qualify for the additional oversized bag fee even if you only take 2 boards.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Thanks everyone. Looks like I need to shop for a board bag, my Santa Monica hard bag is too big. But, if I can get 3 in one bag, that would be better than 2 in 2 bags for my son and I going to Huatulco. Trying to repeat Subway's and GBG's experiences down there. :cool:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
also flew Volaris from LAX to El Salvador. Pre paid for "sports equipment" on their website after booking the tickets. Was $50 each way, for a travel bag with 2 boards in it. The only thing they checked was the weight, didn't look inside for the # of boards

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
It's a joke
its a short flight so on the plane not to bad.. but - we had our flights changed 2 days before the trip - to a completely dif day. had to call and scream for an hour to et that fixed.

then the day we were coming home. notice our flight was leaving 2 hours earlier. 3 hours away from the airport w/ a shuttle booked. we managed to call and et the shuttle rescheduled...only to show up and see out flight was delayed till way after our original departure. such a shitshow but not many non stop options from here to el sal.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater