Varial RIP

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I dig my t knox twins a lot. Got some fascination twins I've yet to try but look nice.

I will say I'm impressed how willing RFC was to make a modified twinzer set that came out really nice. Good fins work regardless of the material. I still have some plastic TC whitelines that fug hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsidegrab

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
How heavy are varial boards? Checked one out yesterday and it may have been the heaviest shortboard I have ever seen.
it was used so not sure if the owner Fucked it up somehow. Another one in the same shop was 3 times as light.

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
The standard glassed Varials are light, maybe a touch heavier than Dark Arts and comparable to standard PU builds. They did offer alternative glassing options - I felt up a CI step up at VSS that was a brick and scared me from trying heavier glass options!

Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
The standard glassed Varials are light, maybe a touch heavier than Dark Arts and comparable to standard PU builds. They did offer alternative glassing options - I felt up a CI step up at VSS that was a brick and scared me from trying heavier glass options!
There must have been something wrong with this one! It felt like an old longboard :roflmao:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I got a 6’7 CI mid twin recently and it weighs 7 lbs. Super light, though I noticed some pretty deep pressure dents on the deck the other day. Incidentally, the guy at the shop said you can heat a varial pressure dent with a hair dryer and it will, uh, for lack of a better word, undent. Anyone try that?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I got a 6’7 CI mid twin recently and it weighs 7 lbs. Super light, though I noticed some pretty deep pressure dents on the deck the other day. Incidentally, the guy at the shop said you can heat a varial pressure dent with a hair dryer and it will, uh, for lack of a better word, undent. Anyone try that?
Yep, I've done the dent thing quite a few times. It works the best on the epoxy glassed ones, followed by poly. I couldn't get the cabron to budge. I've only done it outside of the area where my front foot lands.

For the weight question, my five 4+4/4 borts that are all under 5'9 are right around 5.5 lbs. My 5'6.5" Stumps Fuse that they forgot to tint is still on their site. They remade it. The one on the site is 5.8 lbs. and the one I received was 5.4 lbs.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I order every board heavily glassed.

1) economical and resale value way up
2) I still get presures and heavier boards= momentum thru heavy turns is amazing. My larmo twinzer fish reassures me everytime I surf it.

Do some squats / calf raises or something. Still amazes me when shapers/ review vids say "for bigger guys in the 180-190 range".... that ain't a big guy