Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Here:

Now anyone can do it, but only Varial can make money on it... Right? Is that how patents work?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Right I saw and read all that and came to conclusion of above post and still think more to do with lay out/layering of glass then some magic infusion :shrug:
Listen to the DLS podcast with your homie Stretch. This is what made me go for infused.

fwiw, you can get infused glass at varial and ask them to skip the infused glass lams. I did.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Listen to the DLS podcast with your homie Stretch. This is what made me go for infused.

fwiw, you can get infused glass at varial and ask them to skip the infused glass lams. I did.
I thought stretch indicated that he prefers a standard process vs bagged and you can control the amount of resin if done properly?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I thought stretch indicated that he prefers a standard process vs bagged and you can control the amount of resin if done properly?
He said, iirc, that a veteran laminator like his with a dialed process as his, should be as good as vacuum bag or better.

infused glass is different from just vac bag and he would have chased it but he’s too old to do it right so he isn’t gonna start.

i think I’m recalling this correctly. warning, stretch’s audio was horrible for the whole episode but def worth a listen.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
He said, iirc, that a veteran laminator like his with a dialed process as his, should be as good as vacuum bag or better.

infused glass is different from just vac bag and he would have chased it but he’s too old to do it right so he isn’t gonna start.

i think I’m recalling this correctly. warning, stretch’s audio was horrible for the whole episode but def worth a listen.
Just got my 1st Stretch vacum board DFT still need to ride it before review but glass looks solid asked to do my normal medium 6/4 6..
DFT
Dampened Flex Technology
  • stringerless 2.0 pcf. Marko blank
  • Vacuum bagged bamboo veneer inlay
  • Epoxy lamination with 4oz. direct sized RWG E-glass deck and bottom
  • 4oz. S-glass deck and bottom layer 45º off-axis quadrilateral cloth matrix
  • Individually hand-shaped deck channels

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo

Listened to this on a walk this morning and thought it was a great episode. Sounds like Stretch's glassing process with a wicking agent is similar/same to what Hydroflex was/is (I guess KJA Designs might still be carrying on the process) doing. I thought the idea of the "hammock effect" was interesting and wished they expanded a little further on that. Sounds like my golf-balled decks are a good thing.

I thought it was cool that Stretch said Infused is the future of glassing since he's been at the forefront of alternative builds for a while. I have an incoming Stamps Flare with Infused Glass, which will be my third board with the tech.

I got a custom through Stretch about 15 years ago, I think it was a Skate model and it just didn't work for me. He really seems to know his sh!t and listening to the podcast, kind of makes me want to give another a go.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I thought it was cool that Stretch said Infused is the future of glassing since he's been at the forefront of alternative builds for a while. I have an incoming Stamps Flare with Infused Glass, which will be my third board with the tech.
So tim will let varial glass it?

I'm curious to hear what tim thinks of varial for my net board.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
So tim will let varial glass it?

I'm curious to hear what tim thinks of varial for my net board.
He likes the tech and has made Simpo a couple. Tim isn't wowed with Varial's glassing turnaround time. He's checked in with me a couple of times even though the board is out of his shop. The is my 1st Stamps and with the customer service, won't be my last even if the Flare doesn't wow me.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I never heard his whole story... Such a great episode!
I forget where I heard this but if I remember right stretch tried varial foam and glassing but like said in podcast to much trouble and why fix it if it ain't broke so he continues with his glassing...
EPS/EPOXY CFT SLT DFT LEGACY ADDITIONAL OPTIONS

EPS/EPOXY
High-caliber, custom-crafted surfboards
  • 2.1pcf density Marko Foam EPS core
  • Appelcore stringer
  • EPOXY hand lamination using 6oz. + 4oz. E-glass deck with 6oz. E-glass bottom
  • EPS/EPOXY CFT SLT DFT LEGACY ADDITIONAL OPTIONS

CFT
    Controlled Flex Technology
    • 1/8” bamboo stringer
    • Epoxy lamination with 6oz. direct sized RWG E-glass deck and bottom
    • 4oz. S-glass deck layer 45º off-axis quadrilateral cloth matrix
    • Individually hand-shaped deck channels
    • SLT
      Stringer-less Technology
      • Stringer-less 2.1 pcf Marko blank
      • Epoxy lamination with 4oz. direct sized RWG E-glass deck and bottom
      • 4oz. S-glass deck and bottom layer 45º off-axis quadrilateral cloth matrix
      • LEGACY
        Performance, confidence, and durability
        • Full CFT construction
        • 1/16” thick Amorim cork veneer vacuum attached to the deck and rails
        • Bamboo veneer bottom skin
        • Each LEGACY core is engineered in-house and custom shaped by William Riedel in Santa Cruz, CA

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
He likes the tech and has made Simpo a couple. Tim isn't wowed with Varial's glassing turnaround time. He's checked in with me a couple of times even though the board is out of his shop. The is my 1st Stamps and with the customer service, won't be my last even if the Flare doesn't wow me.
nice. he knows me well enough to give me an honest opinion about it so I'm curious.

His customer service is top notch

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have a stretch super buzz in EPS Tech (pre dates CFT Tech) it's 8 years old and still feels like the first time I rode it. I also dropped it onto concrete multiple times and just a few light scratches. Very light pressures by my front foot. The biggest damage is on the bottom, a pressure dent with light scratch in it from when I wasn't wearing a leash and it hit a bunch of rocks.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have a stretch super buzz in EPS Tech (pre dates CFT Tech) it's 8 years old and still feels like the first time I rode it. I also dropped it onto concrete multiple times and just a few light scratches. Very light pressures by my front foot. The biggest damage is on the bottom, a pressure dent with light scratch in it from when I wasn't wearing a leash and it hit a bunch of rocks.
Same tech f4 with parabolic stringer "rails" brown 2 small dings h20 tight and fixed bat tail points with epoxy putty and still has life. I use as travel hpsb or back up.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I may reach out to the person I sold my cft super buzz to a couple years ago. I think about that board so much... I just want to bring it to Stretch, and be like, can you make this again with slightly more foam?

edit: looks like I took this thread off the rails.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I forget where I heard this but if I remember right stretch tried varial foam and glassing but like said in podcast to much trouble and why fix it if it ain't broke so he continues with his glassing...
that was the out gassing from the blank he said - gave him a headache, iirc.

i think it was related to a mold release compound that is no longer in use. I think it’s talked about on the Varial blog.