Vans’ Hanna Scott 5mm booties. Anyone have a pair and can share a review?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I live in Redondo Beach (LA’s South Bay) and haven’t worn booties around here in 20+ years. I received a Vans GC from my wife/14 year old for Xmas and since I spent > $75 (through yesterday), I got a $25 credit towards another > $75 order.

Stab’s Mikey C. loved the Hanna Scott round toe 5mm booties in Stab’s recent 5/4 wetsuit + booties review. They’re unavailable from Vans for a week or so and I’m not sure if I should wait or just get another pair of shoes, as I’ve never really liked booties.

There were a couple days over the last few years where my feet were frozen on the walk home and every little stray piece of asphalt that made a direct hit with the underside of my foot was pretty ouchy.

My second toe seems comfortable residing on the outer portion of my big toe, so split-toe booties are off the table.

Anyone try the Vans’ offering and have a review to share?

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Your purpose is the walk home yeah? get a pair of $5 flip flops from Walgreens n hide em in the dunes while you surf; n buy a pair of vans sneakers or whatever. Booties are designed for surfin, you’ll mow through the soles stupid quick Walking around wit them.

Reactions: LeastCoast

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Your purpose is the walk home yeah? get a pair of $5 flip flops from Walgreens n hide em in the dunes while you surf; n buy a pair of vans sneakers or whatever. Booties are designed for surfin, you’ll mow through the soles stupid quick Walking around wit them.
It’s a < 5 minute walk, < than 200 yards on the sidewalk/asphalt bike path, but there’s a few days a year when the air is in the 40’s and the cold sand sucks the heat right out of my body and I’m cold before I paddle out. Those are the days it’s pretty brutal on the way home. Of course my feet get cold when the water is sub 56, but that doesn’t happen very often. I’m second guessing my anti-booty position a few days a year and was wondering about these Vans ones.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Not sure about the Hanna Scott version specifically but I’ve worn the 5mm and 3mm Vans booties and actually prefer the 5mm. The board feel on them is the best of any booties I’ve tried as they don’t get too sticky but give you a ton of traction and you can still feel your board. The 3mm are still really good, but the 5mm just feel better and are nice and warm. They also don’t feel cumbersome at all for being 5mm. I’d say they’re definitely worth it, especially if you ever head north to surf.

Reactions: ChaseTMP and jkb

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
It’s a < 5 minute walk, < than 200 yards on the sidewalk/asphalt bike path, but there’s a few days a year when the air is in the 40’s and the cold sand sucks the heat right out of my body and I’m cold before I paddle out. Those are the days it’s pretty brutal on the way home. Of course my feet get cold when the water is sub 56, but that doesn’t happen very often. I’m second guessing my anti-booty position a few days a year and was wondering about these Vans ones.
They’ll get torn up, but if you have gift certificat, why not go for it anyway I guess. .. or go booties n oversized crocs - all the ladies will love the look as well.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
cool. Never heard of her.
why does she have a signature /pro model boot? So creative to make one of the vans stripes a different color!

It really sounds like OP should get her signature boots rather than booties...

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
"Hanna Scott booties"

They're booties for girls.

If you want to start wearing women's clothing I guess it's a good place to start easing in.
I’m jumping in with two feet! To complete the look, a red Roxy or Sisstr Revolution full suit that matches the red stripe on the bootie, I feel will really tie the look together. Oh and maybe I can belt it? That’d be slimming, OMG, I’m so excited!!!

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I ended up pulling the trigger on these (not the Sisstr Revolution or Roxy full, baby steps k?). I have no idea how Vans measures thickness, but I feel like a f’in ninja in these 5mm, as they feel ridiculously thin. They’re a mo’fin b’atch to get on and off right now, but as a non booty wearer for 25+years, I can’t imagine something better (aside from the ingress/egress) for board feel.

They do run small (at least a half size). I wear 13’s in Nike and Adidas, 12.5 in regular Vans, New Balance, Asics, dress shoes (AE) and these in a size 13 are perfectly snug.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
So there is no difference between these signature series and the typical, non signature series booties outside of colorway then?

More importantly, are they round toe, or hidden split toe?
I can't do split toe boots.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
So there is no difference between these signature series and the typical, non signature series booties outside of colorway then?

More importantly, are they round toe, or hidden split toe?
I can't do split toe boots.
I don't think there's anything difference aside from the colors. I prefer the subdued brown stripe as opposed to the white. They're round toe. I can't do split toe either.