Twinzer Feedback?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
General question here. What's the tail rocker look like on your twinzers?

Ward Coffee told me he likes to build them with pretty low tail rocker. I didn't quite click with them and am wondering if that was part of the reason.

Is there something about the fin set-up that works best with a lower tail rocker?

Could I take my favorite rocker with some tail flip and slap a twinzer set on it.........or would that not work?
I'm a monkey see monkey do. @ghostshaper told me early on about typical tail rockers being low so I've done it that way since. I assume high tail rocker and lack of the third fin/anchor don't get along well. Twins/twinzers are loose enough and don't need extra anything. ymmv

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
General question here. What's the tail rocker look like on your twinzers?

Ward Coffee told me he likes to build them with pretty low tail rocker. I didn't quite click with them and am wondering if that was part of the reason.

Is there something about the fin set-up that works best with a lower tail rocker?

Could I take my favorite rocker with some tail flip and slap a twinzer set on it.........or would that not work?
Low/lower is relative. Straight rocker numbers are also deceiving w/o a length. Longer boards typically necessitate more rocker. For a 5'6, I was putting in about 1.5" of tail rocker.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
how does shiitake compare to fm?
Shiitake less tracky- looser with similar glide. Glass job < FM waterman’s for sure. Maybe it’s my declining rippage ability or less nose flip on the fm, but I didn’t blow as many takeoffs on the shiitake..

I would get a 6.6 shiitake if it wasn’t a grand for a mediocre glass job. Like the shape though

Reactions: JDJ and Havoc

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Shiitake less tracky- looser with similar glide. Glass job < FM waterman’s for sure. Maybe it’s my declining rippage ability or less nose flip on the fm, but I didn’t blow as many takeoffs on the shiitake..

I would get a 6.6 shiitake if it wasn’t a grand for a mediocre glass job. Like the shape though
That sucks that the glassing is holding a shaper's board back. Maybe ask for a shaped blank and then drop it off at Waterman's?

Reactions: Lowqi2

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Aren't Pandas glassed at Pure Glass? I'm pretty sure Blake shapes out of there, so I assumed they'd be glassed there. I had about five borts glassed there and I thought the quality was good, but that was 12 years ago. I know quite a few of Kelly's borts have gone through Pure Glass the last couple of years.

Reactions: manel85 and Aruka
Sep 20, 2019
I like lower tail rocker. Had a 6’10 step twinzer, no matter how much I wanted it to work I moved it. Tail rocker was just too much and lacked drive. My current DD twinzer is 1 5/8 tail rocker.

dk1973

OTF status
Jun 11, 2011
Aren't Pandas glassed at Pure Glass? I'm pretty sure Blake shapes out of there, so I assumed they'd be glassed there. I had about five borts glassed there and I thought the quality was good, but that was 12 years ago. I know quite a few of Kelly's borts have gone through Pure Glass the last couple of years.
Yes they are glassed at Pure Glass. I ordered a pu blank glassed in epoxy --shitake hp-- came out great, Blake was nice to deal with. Few times I have rode it so far I like it :shaka:

Last edited:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Yes they are glassed at Pure Glass. I ordered a pu blank glassed in epoxy --shitake hp-- came out great, Blake was nice to deal with. Few times I have rode it so far I like it :shaka:
I’ve had 3 pandas. all came out of pure glass and had no problem. of course, I’m sure employees change and every board isn’t the same quality. I do think panda is just is good as album for alt boards, just isn’t very good at marketing

Reactions: need 4 speed