Twin Fin Theory

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I demoed a 5'7 (30.4L) which was the closest they had to my normal liters (28L) and now I'm wanting to see if I can get my hands on a 5'5 (27.5L) to see if all of my issues (very similar to Noel's) are addressed going down in volume. I thought this board would fill in my groveler range and that was why I wasn't concerned going up in liters for the demo. I thought the board was sticky, slow to get up to speed and slow to react as well and totally wrote it off, but I like a lot of the boards Noel likes.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My theory on twin fins: Most people riding them look kooky doing so. It is the rare surfer who actually surfs well on them......and those guys surf well on anything. There is a reason the thruster ended the twin fin era.

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
My theory on twin fins: Most people riding them look kooky doing so. It is the rare surfer who actually surfs well on them......and those guys surf well on anything. There is a reason the thruster ended the twin fin era.
I’d say most people riding thrusters look like Kooks.... stink bugs, turd squats n weak ass random tail tossing/flicking galore.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I must say that fins far back on a twinnie has been a revelation. My Pyzel Astro Twin has the fins at approx 6", and I've yet to skip out or having to nurse a cutback. Feels very fast and positive.

I owe GG $5, but he hasn't sent me his PayPal address yet :)View attachment 82581
What fins are you running? Pyzel seemed to recommend keels with the Astro Glider.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
What fins are you running? Pyzel seemed to recommend keels with the Astro Glider.
These:

Perfect!

(Disclaimer: I had these lying around, and thought I try them first. Stupidly colour-coordinated, but not intentional.)

Reactions: Aruka and ChaseTMP

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I must say that fins far back on a twinnie has been a revelation. My Pyzel Astro Twin has the fins at approx 6", and I've yet to skip out or having to nurse a cutback. Feels very fast and positive.

I owe GG $5, but he hasn't sent me his PayPal address yet :)View attachment 82581
That board looks fun. Do you ride it in overhead surf?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
That board looks fun. Do you ride it in overhead surf?
I've yet to surf it in what I thought/think it would shine in - fast, small, down the line.

My best surfs on it have been at my local, wildly imperfect reef/point at HH to OH and 10kt side/onshore. Was super good fun! Connects pockets of good power across dead spots, and allows really solid hacks when the opportunity presents itself.

Had one surf on it at a favourite spot - 300m right point - but it was a short period swell, so even though OH, it was mostly cutback city.