Tuberiding twin fins.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
PU epoxy 6/4 6 S glass:shaka:
Tested glass job last week when I thought I was Torren and going backside in tube was too deep behind bowl so I bodysurfed instead. Big smile on face until my AO caught up to me ghost riding and the outside rail smashed in the face:drowning: When all was said and done I was left with a good size pressure ding only on rail "still water tight" and a nice bump above my left eye:shark:
That’s the glass schedule I ended up going with. Got off phone with Malcolm yesterday evening:jamon:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Last season i rode twin/twinzer setups during the entire season down here - a lot of good waves they worked well in a lot of different conditions. This season just as a change of pace been riding single fins (not talking 70's retro) first month of the season especially in good surf. They go really well in tubes and bigger surf - not trying to debate which is better ... just different but they are really addicting. If you like the looseness, speed of riding a twin/twinzer .... highly recommend giving a single a proper try.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Does Cj ride them?
He was out at my local one day when it was quite good and i was impressed
with (his skill of course) his ability to manage the foam ball while deep deep deep.

:bowdown:

Reactions: flyinraptr

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Maybe anchoring is not the right word....
I'm a cripple and have been riding quads for around 35 years and twins for 5 or 6 years before switching. I love tube riding and have a lot of experience at it. In my opinion, if your just hauling ass to get out of the shade, then you're not really tube riding. In my opinion, the goal in tube riding, for the most part (gnarly death slabs are the exception), is to stay as deep as possible, just in front of the foam ball, for as long as possible.
Quads and twins can hang a very high line and are very responsive to staling and speeding up when appropriate. This makes them very good for riding the tube. Their one weakness is when the foam ball catches up with you and starts to lift the tail of your board. This is where you lose your line and things go sideways real fast. Three fin set ups handle this better because that third fin is stabilizing your tail in the turbulence. YMMV.
I get what your saying now and I believe that has more to do with preference or feel like "like tail shape" then fin set up. I feel that on singles deep in barrels but embraced it and figured out how to adjust. The real problem solver came to me after trying a Malcom Campbell 5 fin bonzer never looked back. Yes deep as possible is ideal agree my point was when you need speed to escape easier to find on twin and quad then thruster :shaka:

Reactions: npsp

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I think you also have to add that a twin fin is larger than a standard thruster fin, especially when on rail in the tube. Quad, well, you have two fins in the wall. Don’t forget about most important fin..arm/hand in the wall.

Have you ever checked out your hand while in a tube while your fingers are moving across the face like the first time they did over a pair of boobs or even further down :toilet: . One of the first times I did that and focused on it, it was like being snapped out of a dream/another state of consciousness. Then I started to dabble and make motions with my hand in the wave face while being pitted. All was right with the world. On the way out I let my hand drop down towards the tail then made a big rainbow arc across the face. When my hand was at the end of the arc, I pulled out. Only a Kneeboarder knows the feeling. :trout:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I get what your saying now and I believe that has more to do with preference or feel like "like tail shape" then fin set up. I feel that on singles deep in barrels but embraced it and figured out how to adjust. The real problem solver came to me after trying a Malcom Campbell 5 fin bonzer never looked back. Yes deep as possible is ideal agree my point was when you need speed to escape easier to find on twin and quad then thruster :shaka:
That big center fin on your Bonzer is quite the anchor.... :cheers:. Totally agree with your last sentence.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That big center fin on your Bonzer is quite the anchor.... :cheers:. Totally agree with your last sentence.
Yes 7" anchor but the 4 x bonzer fins and bottom helped solve the funny turbulence "side step" I would get from foam ball on single:shaka:

Reactions: npsp

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Twin feels really good in the tube to me.

Where I didn't like them was during a bottom turn on a weaker wave. Felt like they lacked projection.

Mar 2, 2019
Didn't this thread start with no center fin for small waves offers better lines? - Yes for fun, no for being judged. It also allows for easier experimentation with fins as you aren't affecting one fin with another.

Tube riding a large single fin will give you the best tube ride of your life as you will be forced into the pit, locked in, and you had better trim your board perfectly. For me, a tri will let me feel the pocket really well, easy to stall, and get covered up. I don't surf pefect waves very often, so I prefer twins or quads for the more all around surfing feel they give me. An hp thruster always makes me feel like the waves are crap, or I'm out of shape... Unfortunately, getting barrelled at OB SF is difficult to say the least, so my time in the barrel is no where near what my time spent surfing should have allowed...

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I accidentally rode my Stacey times two twinny in shoulder to head high barrels yesterday... it was bigger and better than I expected. Used keel fins.

It was much better than I expected. No issues knifing in at that size either forehand or backhand, and had the speed I needed. Would try again.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I accidentally rode my Stacey times two twinny in shoulder to head high barrels yesterday... it was bigger and better than I expected. Used keel fins.

It was much better than I expected. No issues knifing in at that size either forehand or backhand, and had the speed I needed. Would try again.
Like the drive and speed keels give you .... my favorite twinzer setup at the moment ... kinda of a happy medium between a keel template and an upright twin template.

20210309_151203.jpg