Trump says turn around!

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I guess it shouldn't be surprising that Trump supporters don't know how the immigration system works - Trump doesn't either:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-tells-migrant-caravan-to-turn-around-as-troops-being-sent-to-border

5 slow claps for the first Trump supporter who can find it... I'll give you a hint - it's in his tweet.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Tell me immigration expert, what is the proper way for these migrants to go about applying for citizenship?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
How can people here have any sort of discussion on immigration without knowing even the most basic parts of the current system?

You can't apply for citizenship from outside the US, and you can't apply for citizenship unless you've been in the US legally for 5 years.

But why would the President of the United States know that? So much easier just to tweet fake news.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
You can apply for refugee status from outside the US, but must already be outside of their home country. You can apply for asylum at the port of entry to the US, when they enter. They cannot apply before entering the US
It’d be nice if the so called news stations could educate their viewers instead playing to their audiences emotions.
cowabunga
rg

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Random Guy said:
You can apply for refugee status from outside the US, but must already be outside of their home country. You can apply for asylum at the port of entry to the US, when they enter. They cannot apply before entering the US
It’d be nice if the so called news stations could educate their viewers instead playing to their audiences emotions.
cowabunga
rg
Fox News repeats Trump's claim that the caravan is made up of "illegal aliens" despite the fact that they're 1000 miles away and despite the stated aim of applying for asylum legally. Why would they want to confuse viewers with facts about the American system when it's emotion that sells ad time?

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
I'm not really a supporter of illegal immigration, sanctuary cities, all of that. At the same time, I'm not afraid MS13 is coming to kill me and mine. I think my vote for Governor of Texas could go to Lupe Valdez.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Duffy said:
You can't apply for citizenship from outside the US...
False.

and you can't apply for citizenship unless you've been in the US legally for 5 years.
Also false.

I speak from personal experience.
So you had no green card/time in the US previously? You literally applied for citizenship from another country without having been here? I doubt it.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/applying-for-us-citizenship-naturalization-30218.html

Rather than get clever with the various exceptions to the rules, why don't you tell us how any one of these caravan members would turn around, head back to Hondura and apply for citizenship.