Trump on abolishing presidential term limits: 'Maybe we'll give that a shot someday'

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I keep thinking I'm going to find something that will make Trump's supporters criticize him. Maybe this will be it. Probably not.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376604-trump-on-chinese-president-abolishing-term-limits-maybe-well-give?__twitter_impression=true
Trump on Chinese president abolishing term limits: 'Maybe we'll give that a shot someday'

President Trump on Saturday praised a move by China's Communist Party to abolish presidential term limits, and suggested that maybe the United States would "give that a shot some day."

"He's now president for life. President for life. And he's great," Trump told Republican donors during a closed-door even in Florida. A recording of Trump's remarks was obtained by CNN.

"And look, he was able to do that," he added. "I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot some day."

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
:roflmao: It's easy to be "President for Life" when you can't vote, or if you do vote and choose unwisely you go to a prison camp.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
proudboy said:
YAWN. :sleeping:

Let me go get my fainting couch.

Every politician says these kinds of things. It obviously has angered liburals, so he's doing something right. :fight:

never go full dotard.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Proudboy is troll level 1/7. Weak

This shows the historical ignorance of Trump.

TR would have been President for life if he would have kept winning elections; FDR was effectively President for life, and that's why we have the 22nd Amendment. Until the Roosevelts, presidents only served two terms as a custom, since Washington stepped down after his 2nd term was up

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
The right way to hold power after your term is up is to install a puppet, like medvedev

The DNC would be good at running this play

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Look at all the world leaders Trump says nice things about, Putin, the guy in China, Duterte, Erodgdan, dictators all.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
If you don't hate American politicians something is seriously wrong with you

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
ifallalot said:
If you don't hate American politicians something is seriously wrong with you
Yes, but as compared to Putin, Duterte, Erdogan, etc?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
BillyOcean said:
Was he joking?

CNN often hypes his obvious jokes as being serious
where's all the 2nd Amendment people freaking out about about our tyrannical President

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
But why is he joking?

The psychopath uses jokes to decrease accountability. That is the issue that triggers.

So to downplay the implications of his "joking" is to miss the point.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
stu dog said:
BillyOcean said:
Was he joking?

where's all the 2nd Amendment people freaking out about about our tyrannical President
Yeah, his comments about ignoring due process are probably the worst stuff he's said.

I'm pretty sure the meaning behind the spiel was to attack the justice system for being too slow, but when you're already looked at as tyrannical by half the country comments about suspending due process might not be the best idea

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
ifallalot said:
stu dog said:
BillyOcean said:
Was he joking?

Yeah, his comments about ignoring due process are probably the worst stuff he's said.

I'm pretty sure the meaning behind the spiel was to attack the justice system for being too slow, but when you're already looked at as tyrannical by half the country comments about suspending due process might not be the best idea
Cheeto didn't like laws when he was a businessman (red tape or not) and he still continues as President. He literally wants to EO any idea he has and to bypass Congress. He only has disdain for our Constitution. He's now as President said/post something contrary to pretty much every Bill, except the 5th

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
stu dog said:
ifallalot said:
stu dog said:
BillyOcean said:
Was he joking?

Cheeto didn't like laws when he was a businessman (red tape or not) and he still continues as President. He literally wants to EO any idea he has and to bypass Congress. He only has disdain for our Constitution. He's now as President said/post something contrary to pretty much every Bill, except the 5th
EOs are how the Presidency operates nowadays. That's not a Trumpian innovation