Truck Camping Maui?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Researching winter travel ideas. There are a few companies renting trucks and Jeeps with tents built onto the beds or roof racks. Has anyone done this? What is camping on Maui like?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I camped on Maui a few years ago while visiting friends from there, it was fun and not a big deal. That said I know a couple people who have done it since the pandemic tourism influx and got hassled hard by both law enforcement and locals. YMMV. That said, the actual campgrounds on Maui are nice and obviously you won't have the issues I mentioned, no idea what availability is like now though.

Jul 24, 2021
Researching winter travel ideas. There are a few companies renting trucks and Jeeps with tents built onto the beds or roof racks. Has anyone done this? What is camping on Maui like?

There is no RV camp grounds on Maui. Most of the folks who rent these cars usually park on the side of the road just pass the Pali near Thousand peaks. No showers but an occasional port o potty.
Your better off with a BnB and normal rental car...

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Don't. There are few if any drive up campsites on the islands. People who are renting out camp vehicles are opportunists that know full well there is nowhere for the renters to legally park and camp. Locals and law enforcement are going to harass you.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Get a hotel and Airbnb

If you’re not in a legit camp ground with reservations you’re gonna get hassled

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Many people camp over near Guardrails etc. My understanding is that you can camp there for free as long as you have a Fishing line in the water. Not sure if thats for residents only.

Apps out there to figure out where others have camped with success or not.