Trapezoid Keels

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Anyone try them? Cant figure if they'd have more drive, or be looser, just more dangerous to genitalia, or ???

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
deforest said:
Looks like another attempt to replicate a Daniel Thomson/Mark Thomson fin design (IMO).
I don't think they were the first to make fins like that...

There are a lot of similarities between the trapezoid keels and the Greenough 'paddle' single fins he originally built for his windsurfers to put more of the fin into deeper, undisturbed water.

I've been riding these keels in a 5'3" Stretch fish:

http://instagr.am/p/Bbk48V0A5E8/
They definitely have some 'whip' to them and almost load up like a flex fin does thru turns. They have a definite feeling of going through the gears on bottom turns which is awesome. I would like to get them on a bigger wave or more open face then the sloppy summertime surf here offers. I'd say they are a little looser than a standard keel of the same size, but seem to be equally drivey... need more time on them. Definitely look weird!

Jul 10, 2018
deforest said:
Looks like another attempt to replicate a Daniel Thomson/Mark Thomson fin design (IMO).
That's harsh. Vulcan is an independently-minded guy who's doing really inspiring (award winning) stuff. His trapezoid keels are interesting to me, though I've yet to ride them. Tomo and his father were inspired by Greenough and others when they made those cut-away twin fins. There's a deep, rich history here that must be taken into account.

Hi5 to Vulcan for trying new things.

Reactions: redrider

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
I discussed this with Mark Thomson. Greenough rode mainly mats exclusively since the late seventies. I've never seen a picture of Greenough riding a kneeboard, or standing up for that matter, with any of the types of fins like the one in that article Duffy posted. I think MT really perfected those fins and lots of other people have since tried to replicate them, but none really understand what makes them work. I heard Chuck Ames is a great fin maker, but I think MT has been in the game so long, and ridden surfboards enough, that he's really dialed in those fin templates (IMO). I've only ridden MT's powerdrive fins, but i'd be curious to ride some of the others and see how they feel.

Here is some photos from MT's instagram. Looks like he was actually "riding" these fins himself back in the mid 1980's.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
I get it that shapers get inspired by other shapers and everyone is constantly reusing every ones stuff, but when Tomo comes along with such unique looking boards, and tail shapes... and then someone creates something very similar, its kind of a turn off for me.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
deforest said:
I discussed this with Mark Thomson. Greenough rode mainly mats exclusively since the late seventies. I've never seen a picture of Greenough riding a kneeboard, or standing up for that matter, with any of the types of fins like the one in that article Duffy posted. I think MT really perfected those fins and lots of other people have since tried to replicate them, but none really understand what makes them work. I heard Chuck Ames is a great fin maker, but I think MT has been in the game so long, and ridden surfboards enough, that he's really dialed in those fin templates (IMO). I've only ridden MT's powerdrive fins, but i'd be curious to ride some of the others and see how they feel.

Here is some photos from MT's instagram. Looks like he was actually "riding" these fins himself back in the mid 1980's.

Surfcat created the hatchet fins as well as the tunnel fin even before roy stewart did. Roy stewart did break the sound barrier on an olo at raglan a few years back

• Haha
Reactions: redrider