TPatterson - Gas Pedal

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
  1. Gas Pedal by T.Patterson Surfboards
    The Gas Pedal is a “no brainer” because it is going to work in small gutless surf to overhead waves. The Gas Pedal is built with medium low nose rocker and medium high kick in the tail rocker. The reason this board creates so much speed is from the magical single concave that’s dug out in the bottom. Timmy also likes to foil the rails out ...

Apr 6, 2015
The Gas Pedal looks like a really fun board.

I've had a few deep single boards I didn't click with, notably a Maurice Cole ProTow. But the deep single ...Lost shapes I've ridden work well for me (V3 Rocket, Baby Buggy, V2 Grinder), especially in smallish waves. Don't know what the difference is, but I really like the lift and acceleration.

I keep hearing great things about TP's boards, really want to try one.

Reactions: paunch23

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
  1. Gas Pedal by T.Patterson Surfboards
    The Gas Pedal is a “no brainer” because it is going to work in small gutless surf to overhead waves.
Big red light:

Works like a groveler and also works in overhead surf.

It's really fast "glides over those slow and weak sections".

In my experience boards that grovel and are made to glide over slow weak sections don't really work in overhead surf. They are made for holding speed, not controlling it.

The marketing also says go shorter and slightly wider. Also not what I want to do with a performance thruster in overhead surf.

I would step on the gas and pass on this one.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Looking at the outline, foil and rocker and I see no reason why this wouldn't work in overhead surf. Especially as a swallow, which is what they recommend. I wouldn't expect it to grovel in absolute tiny mush like a dedicated grovel board but compared to a standard HPSB it will probably have a little extra glide. It looks like just a slight step down from a normal thruster. Nothing crazy.

The Synthetic 84 is the one I'm most keen on. I dig the 80's thrrusters and would like to compare Timmy's take to the Rusty Blade and Stamps GBX.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjlist and JDJ

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Big red light:

Works like a groveler and also works in overhead surf.

It's really fast "glides over those slow and weak sections".

In my experience boards that grovel and are made to glide over slow weak sections don't really work in overhead surf. They are made for holding speed, not controlling it.

The marketing also says go shorter and slightly wider. Also not what I want to do with a performance thruster in overhead surf.

I would step on the gas and pass on this one.

Have you tried any newer shapes like that? Chilli rare bird at an inch longer than I am tall is enough board to catch and ride any wave I'm comfortable being in the water with. These things work, even for (relatively) regular humans like me.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I’m an Asian Midget raised on bags and bags of short grain rice. Overhead surf is 2 ft Hawaiian. All my grovel boars can be surfed in HH to slightly OH waves. Are they always the right boars for the job? No. But that T. Patterson Gas Pedal looks like it would be fun from waist high Bowls to Big Bowl barrels. In fact it looks like a boar a couple of my swallow tail loving friends ride.

Would bang.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Have you tried any newer shapes like that? Chilli rare bird at an inch longer than I am tall is enough board to catch and ride any wave I'm comfortable being in the water with. These things work, even for (relatively) regular humans like me.
Yes, I have.

Description says it's for head high and under. Looks like a daily driver. Description seems accurate, click below FB link for video:

You seem to be sizing it different

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Mine too

Kinda like how scrambled eggs can be eaten with your hands. Not preferable but doable.
We all know the head high and up is for pros not joes imo
Like I know that board would work waist to maybe head high.
then again some people can surf lil boards, I dont even like my RNF if its past head high, drops get weird and I hate droppin in w a fish