Toyota to mass-produce EV Hilux pickup by 2025….

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I've been saying it forever, a no frills ev would be incredible.

4 wheels. 4 doors. Can go 80 mph. AC. Cruise control. Airbags and seatbelts. A Bluetooth radio (fug touch screen). manual windows. Can go 300 miles with fast charging. And I'm good!

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Super Tundra

Thanks government
You think it's government's fault that we don't get cool cars and not the fact that carmakers know American market much better than you?
If they think they could sell it here in big numbers, they would bring it here.
Middle America still wants big trucks with V8s.

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

And so much for Toyota being against EVs, that narrative changed real quick like. :roflmao:

This whole argument against EVs is just a repeat of "4k will never be a thing".

PS The first solid state battery powered EV just hit the market.

Reactions: Aruka and afoaf

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
yes

because it is

they forbid me from importing, registering, and licensing an imv0

i know you don't like this, but its just the way it is, homeslice
But why is Hilux not sold here?

It's not because of the government.
You and I want a no frills Hilux but America doesn't.
America wants F150.

And the US is probably the easiest country I know for car import.

FYI, this is my fully manual, no ac, no power steering Taliban truck.

1711470445088.jpeg

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

America wants F150.

Yes, it is because of the government

Hilux don't meet safety and emissions requirements

ps- 4K still isn't a thing. Even the Super Bowl was upconverted. The only big event that was end to end 4K was the World Cup and no one could actually see real 4K at home

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
true if it conforms to safety and emission standards

imvo does not comply with safety standards (i don't know if it conforms to emissions, but this would be a non-issue with an EV-imvo)

bringing into compliance makes it more expensive than a tacoma - plus aftermarket mods are NEVER going to last like the stuff that rolls off the toyota assembly line - so... while it might be *technically* possible to import and register an imvo, it's just not practical - BECAUSE OF GOVERMENT LEGISLATION

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
true if it conforms to safety and emission standards

imvo does not comply with safety standards

bringing into compliance makes it more expensive than a tacoma - plus aftermarket mods are NEVER going to last like the stuff that rolls off the toyota assembly line - so... while it might be *technically* possible to import and register an imvo, it's just not practical - BECAUSE OF GOVERMENT LEGISLATION
It would still be cheaper than a Tacoma.

It's been proven over again that Americans don't like no frills cars.
That's the main problem. They bring only cars that sell, regardless of the legislation.
But the F150 is still beating them all.
Weird eh.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

America wants F150.

FYI, this is my fully manual, no ac, no power steering Taliban truck.

View attachment 176244
Also, the chicken tax.
Also, EPA rules that advantage longer and wider wheelbase light trucks in fleet CAFE calculations.
Also, companies make way more profit on big-ass trucks than little ones.

IMO there is a solid market for good, basic small trucks, just like that old Toyota pickup in the photo (never should have sold mine). Look at the waiting time to get a Maverick at MSRP, and those are POS Fords.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Yes, it is because of the government

Hilux don't meet safety and emissions requirements

ps- 4K still isn't a thing. Even the Super Bowl was upconverted. The only big event that was end to end 4K was the World Cup and no one could actually see real 4K at home
Hilux would meet safety and emissions IF TOYOTA THOUGHT THE HILUX WOULD SELL IN AMERICA.

Honda, Lexus, Nissan, VW, BMW..... All have to follow the same rules and all bring cars to America.
People say they want no frills cars but then don't buy them, just like the manual transmission cars, which are extinct in America. You can't blame that on the government.
Americans are lazy, they don't want to shift gears like some plebs, they want a plush ride with Apple CarPlay and adaptive cruise control.

PS Live events are not end all and be all. It's a tiny fraction of the media consumed.
And cable is soon to be history.
Boomer.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If Americans weren't by and large the automotive worlds most tasteless insufferable turbofaggots, bar none, the WRX would be the #1 car like 50 times over.

You're talking about a country that likes boaty suspension and boaty steering and dogshit V-8 muscle cars that produce embarrassing HP/liter numbers.

Embarrassments:

Chevy Camaro except for like one special edition a few years ago
Ford Mustang
Dodge Charger
Every "muscle car" ever
Those 70s/80s/90s land yachts.

The late 60s Camaro SS is an embarrassment to the field of engineering and a complete piece of sh!t. Period.

Those cars are basically the automotive equivalent of going to Lowers on a 8'8" Surftech Walden with an e-motor and blowing the takeoff first wave of the set and being in the way the rest of the set, and repeating, dawn to dusk, 24/7/365.

There's old Wranglers/Tacos/Isuzus/Nissan/Datsun/Mazda pickups and also 4Runners out there that do everything you want this new car to do for pennies on that dollar even if they are holding their value.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
People say they want no frills cars but then don't buy them, just like the manual transmission cars, which are extinct in America
the last new car i purchased was a 2016 hyundai elantra SE with a stick

the previous new car that i purchased was a 2008 (i think) toyota yaris with a stick which i would still be driving if it had not been brutally assaulted and maimed by a deer

i really don't care what fat, lazy, rich americanos want

i want to maximize miles travelled per dollar spent on total cost of ownership

and that spells minimalist, no frills vehicle which will also naturally tend towards being environmentally friendly

i would love it if the government would amend its regulations so that i was not effectively prevented from purchasing vehicles like this

It would still be cheaper than a Tacoma.
i think you're fooling yourself here if you look at total cost of importing, modding, registering, and putting some minimal value on your time (especially the modding part. that's where it gets expensive and time consuming. the importing part would be fairly simple and inexpensive once the imvo is being sold in mexico)

at best it might be very, very close in cost, and since i'm chasing price efficiency, its a pointless exercise

Only Toyota can sell after 300k miles with all original drivetrain.
i gave my son a 1997 4x4 runner with a locker and a sunroof with 360K on it and he gets offers on it all the time

NOT 4 SALE

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Hilux would meet safety and emissions IF TOYOTA THOUGHT THE HILUX WOULD SELL IN AMERICA.

Honda, Lexus, Nissan, VW, BMW..... All have to follow the same rules and all bring cars to America.
People say they want no frills cars but then don't buy them, just like the manual transmission cars, which are extinct in America. You can't blame that on the government.
Americans are lazy, they don't want to shift gears like some plebs, they want a plush ride with Apple CarPlay and adaptive cruise control.

PS Live events are not end all and be all. It's a tiny fraction of the media consumed.
And cable is soon to be history.
Boomer.
Cable will be history but live events will not be, and they are the end all and be all because of the money they generate

if the Hilux had to adjust to American rules it would no longer be the Hilux. It’d be the Tacoma

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Live needs to be platform-independent PPV option. I miss everything being on cable, or not. Now there's like eight different streaming services I'd have to sign up for if I was to see every live sporting event I used to see on Scamcast.
Apple sucks.