Tony Roberts on a Vernor

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Panga's is often compared to Sunset ... especially when it gets into the 5'-6' range .... big peak .. big drop .. long wall .. thick wave. Having lived at Sunset many moon's ago ... from my memory i'd say the comparisons are accurate .... Panga's doesn't get as big as Sunsets gets though .... biggest i've ever seen it was solid 8'- 10' Hawaiian scale.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'm not a fan of either wave (Sunset or PD's) and agree there's some similarity at size. I only went out twice for a real go at PD's out of 20 cumulative days staying directly in front of the spot. After sinking some Toña's in the pool I got lured out on one of the soft tops laying around quite often, but my two sessions where it looked really good (DOH) were beyond frustrating. It just doesn't barrel when I've sarfed it and when there's pretty much guaranteed kegs an eight minute walk south...

I almost always get an unexpected spanking at Sunset, no matter the size and get driven deeper underwater than makes sense for the surf's size. The barrel is so hard to negotiate backside and just randomly clamps, but unlike PD's, you can usually get a few hollow ones during a session.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I'm not a fan of either wave (Sunset or PD's) and agree there's some similarity at size. I only went out twice for a real go at PD's out of 20 cumulative days staying directly in front of the spot. After sinking some Toña's in the pool I got lured out on one of the soft tops laying around quite often, but my two sessions where it looked really good (DOH) were beyond frustrating. It just doesn't barrel when I've sarfed it and when there's pretty much guaranteed kegs an eight minute walk south...

I almost always get an unexpected spanking at Sunset, no matter the size and get driven deeper underwater than makes sense for the surf's size. The barrel is so hard to negotiate backside and just randomly clamps, but unlike PD's, you can usually get a few hollow ones during a session.
Yeah - i surfed PDs a lot when i lived there .... there would be 40+ people in the lineup at Colorado's and only a couple people at PDs on many occasions but i don't miss the many beat downs getting smoked by clean up sets or trying to fight the current getting back out. My go to spot now .... about an hour's drive south of Hacienda Iguana is my favorite spot in Nica so far.

Reactions: ChaseTMP