Tomo MPH

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
This set up is pretty much like Dane's TWAD. It feels loose like a twin, but has more hold. The trailers even everything out since the front fin boxes are set further up. I highly recommend on any quad with a wide tail.

Reactions: j_mac and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
You really don't notice the spine all that much. The Revo you could definitely feel the spine! This one you don't feel it as much, but it still has that sharp directional change.
One hand finished by the man himself, then glassed and, maybe more importantly, sanded by a world class team in SD……………

New Vader looks epic btw. Great fit with Dark Arts.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Who cares about what fins you went with. Give us what we want. We know your vain game and we know you don’t surf without setting up the SoloShot apparatus first, so….
Geesh! Vain game... have you been talking to my wife? :ROFLMAO:

Its called "soloshot board review" okay...

Waves were small and I only surfed an hour. Hopefully I'll get some good ones this weekend.
One hand finished by the man himself, then glassed and, maybe more importantly, sanded by a world class team in SD……………

New Vader looks epic btw. Great fit with Dark Arts.
I talked to Dan about XTR and the way he explained it made a lot of sense. XTR is sort of an overlap on his Tomo Tech, which is epoxy, and it would sort of be a competing technology. Firewire is what it is and Dark Arts is carbon tech, with experimentation in PU and EPS, so it made the most sense to go with them as a 3rd alternative technology. It's actually a perfect fit if you think about it.

Reactions: JDJ and j_mac

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
This set up is pretty much like Dane's TWAD. It feels loose like a twin, but has more hold. The trailers even everything out since the front fin boxes are set further up. I highly recommend on any quad with a wide tail.
You ever tried it in an Evo? Can't recall if you have one or not. Since I got my Cymatic I've taken the Evo with me a couple of times but can't bring myself to ride it because I just want to ride the Cymatic. Need to ride the Evo again to see if I even think it is going to stay or be sold on.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
You ever tried it in an Evo? Can't recall if you have one or not. Since I got my Cymatic I've taken the Evo with me a couple of times but can't bring myself to ride it because I just want to ride the Cymatic. Need to ride the Evo again to see if I even think it is going to stay or be sold on.
I found the Evo to have better low end while the Cymatic had better upper end. But I know a lot of guys didn’t like the evo in weaker waves so YMMV. I really liked both

Jul 15, 2008
I found the Evo to have better low end while the Cymatic had better upper end. But I know a lot of guys didn’t like the evo in weaker waves so YMMV. I really liked both
Same for me. The EVO it´s really a very very fun board. It glides in anything and goes in bigger waves. The only downside is that the slightly fuller nose sometimes catches in tubes.

I was about to order a Vader and an Evo in dark arts, but I was too late for the batch shaped by Dan, so I will wait to see what other models they will offer and the new Kevlar carbon construction. The only thing that is 100% sure is that I will get an EVO jejeje.

Reactions: JDJ

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Geesh! Vain game... have you been talking to my wife? :ROFLMAO:

Its called "soloshot board review" okay...

Waves were small and I only surfed an hour. Hopefully I'll get some good ones this weekend.

I talked to Dan about XTR and the way he explained it made a lot of sense. XTR is sort of an overlap on his Tomo Tech, which is epoxy, and it would sort of be a competing technology. Firewire is what it is and Dark Arts is carbon tech, with experimentation in PU and EPS, so it made the most sense to go with them as a 3rd alternative technology. It's actually a perfect fit if you think about it.
I certainly don’t know how to run a global board brand, and Dan certainly comes off as a smart guy. But I don’t get the xtr vs his eps argument just based on geography. How many people here have ordered xtr boards but aren’t going to bother with the hassle of international shipping? Pretty much 99% of us. People in the US don’t care that it’s similar foam. As a US based kook my options are now very limited fireturd models, an international shipping freight, or bull market 1.4k carbon boards

Reactions: oeste858 and JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I certainly don’t know how to run a global board brand, and Dan certainly comes off as a smart guy. But I don’t get the xtr vs his eps argument just based on geography. How many people here have ordered xtr boards but aren’t going to bother with the hassle of international shipping? Pretty much 99% of us. People in the US don’t care that it’s similar foam. As a US based kook my options are now very limited fireturd models, an international shipping freight, or bull market 1.4k carbon boards
XTR would be sort of competitor for his AUS brand. As you pointed out, most people in the US would order through XTR rather than AUS, so it would take away sales from AUS. Tomo only gets a small portion from the sale of Dark Arts (and previously XTR). However, all AUS board sales go directly to Tomo and his brand, so purchasing direct from AUS helps support the brand. Plus ordering from AUS you can customize the model, tail shape, nose shape, etc.; and its shaped by Tomo himself versus having a ghost shaper do it here in USA. Plus the exchange rate is low right now and the shipping isn't too bad. Its actually cheaper to order AUS than Dark Arts especially if you go PU.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
No. Us customers don't order from Australia. I have been thinking about for some time(want to get a board from Dale Webster)
It's so much I always make different choices.

I bet the same hold true for Australians ordering from XTR.

Sounds like trying to adress channel conflict that doesn't exist with and end result of customer attrition

Disclaimer I am not smart.

Reactions: sh3

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I guess you gotta really want it!

I just helped a guy in the Massachusetts area on his AUS order a few weeks ago. He ordered 2 boards.
I know 3 guys from LA area that placed AUS orders a few months ago. They ordered 5 or 6 boards.
I was ready to place an AUS order before I heard about the Dark Arts deal.

So I'd have to politely disagree and say there are US customers that order AUS. You just have to really want it.

Reactions: JDJ and santacruzin

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I know what you're saying though. I have wanted a Webber Electra for a while, but keep putting it off. He said I could order one through Lost, but I said no.

Reactions: JDJ and santacruzin

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
XTR probably cannibalizes most US orders that would go through Aus. But I imagine there are many people in the US that would order a Tomo through XTR but won’t order Aus due to shipping and perceived hassle. Dark Arts is its own thing due to build and cost.

I would assume the math works in favor of limiting the customs like this, but only Dan knows.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Licensed manufacturing is the dream!

who wants to pay for business expense overhead when you can just collect a check in the mail.

my tin foil hat says Dan didn’t like the forged scribble happening at XTR and nuked the deal.

I bet darkfarts gave a better rip than offered from xtr or varial.