Tomo MPH

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I definitey want to get a pair of S-wings. Used Surf in San Clemente has some. I believe they even have some you can demo as part of their Fin Demo program. Now that you've sparked my interest i'm gonna have to dive into them.
Go to Used Surf and get a set of the softer flex (orange) S wing mid keel 470's and put them into your Tomo twin. Give them a go. Hold onto your britches because you will soon learn the true meaning of "Fast and loose."

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Go to Used Surf and get a set of the softer flex (orange) S wing mid keel 470's and put them into your Tomo twin. Give them a go. Hold onto your britches because you will soon learn the true meaning of "Fast and loose."
haha. Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Whats the difference with the Orange and Red? Stiffness? Because it's nice to have a stiff fin on beachies. Quicker rebound. I'll start with the orange, but just curious to hear your thoughts on the Orange vs. Red.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
haha. Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Whats the difference with the Orange and Red? Stiffness? Because it's nice to have a stiff fin on beachies. Quicker rebound. I'll start with the orange, but just curious to hear your thoughts on the Orange vs. Red.
For your weight the red would be too stiff. Want to have you get the max feel for the recoil effect these fins can give in turns so better to start to with the softer flex. Especially since the 470's have shorter trailing arms compared to the 520 twins which feel even more pronounced in their flex. The 470's will suit box placement closer to the tail.

Jan 6, 2021
I have both, and they surf differently but in the same wave range. I like the sci-fi 2 more, but I suppose that it´s a preference thing.
What are the differences that you're finding? Thanks for the response! Always room in the quiver I suppose..

Jul 15, 2008
What are the differences that you're finding? Thanks for the response! Always room in the quiver I suppose..
I would say that the sci-fi 2 can be surfed more top to bottom than the Hydroshort and is faster. My sci-fi is LFT and the Hydroshort is Helium. I think that I like more LFT than Helium, because of the inertia of the board. It's not because of the lightweight, because I have had not this feeling with Dark Arts boards.

There is something with Helium that I get a little bit stuck on the take-off. It seems that the board does not want to enter fast on the wave.

Reactions: jackhammer40

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Where's the hydroshort fitting in your quiver guys? Wondering if there will be too much overlap with my sci-fi 2
I personally think the Hydroshort has a better rocker than the Scifi 2.0. The Scifi 2.0 had a lot of tail rocker (IMO). It didn't like the oside conditions when the waves got a little flatter faced. The Hydroshort has worked in everything and with the round nose it reduces pearling on tight turns. I think the Hydroshort is the best shortboard in the Tomo lineup, and probably my most favorite board. I currently have 3.

One new one i keep on ice (in case the other one breaks). One that i use day to day and one that is a stepup version for when the waves get bigger. I would highly recommend getting one.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I personally think the Hydroshort has a better rocker than the Scifi 2.0. The Scifi 2.0 had a lot of tail rocker (IMO). It didn't like the oside conditions when the waves got a little flatter faced. The Hydroshort has worked in everything and with the round nose it reduces pearling on tight turns. I think the Hydroshort is the best shortboard in the Tomo lineup, and probably my most favorite board. I currently have 3.

One new one i keep on ice (in case the other one breaks). One that i use day to day and one that is a stepup version for when the waves get bigger. I would highly recommend getting one.
Can we get a yellowing epoxy photo update on the new one you never ride? I’m genuinely curious. I have an old Omni in the rafters that didn’t get ridden much but continued to yellow stored in garage. Looks like a banana.
it was a fun boar so I keep thinking maybe I’ll ride it again, but it’s been years now.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Can we get a yellowing epoxy photo update on the new one you never ride? I’m genuinely curious. I have an old Omni in the rafters that didn’t get ridden much but continued to yellow stored in garage. Looks like a banana.
it was a fun boar so I keep thinking maybe I’ll ride it again, but it’s been years now.
It will be like comparing oranges to bananas (pun intended).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Oct 5, 2021
Thinking about getting a cymatic, how does this compare to revo in terms of grovel/low end performance - are they similar? Does cymatic go slightly better in good waves, Revo slightly better in smaller/less powerful waves?

Reactions: Retropete

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Ill take one and post it. The older one is much yellower. What's funny is it continues to yellow even though it doesn't see sunlight. :(

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Thinking about getting a cymatic, how does this compare to revo in terms of grovel/low end performance - are they similar? Does cymatic go slightly better in good waves, Revo slightly better in smaller/less powerful waves?
The Cymatic and Revo are somewhat similar (IMO). I think the Cymatic grovels better because it has a single concave (QISC) and in my experience single concave boards plane better than a vee bottom board in smaller conditions. So just as a matter of fact, from a hydrodynamic stand point, the Cymatic is a better board for smaller weaker waves.

On the upper end, Kelly has pushed the Cymatic in extremely large waves and looked like it worked very well. But Kelly is an elite surfer, so putting that aside, i'd say they both perform well but i'd prefer the Revo in better waves. The Vee (VQC) on the Revo is radical! You just barely lean on rail and the board just goes! In big mushy waves or hollow waves, the Revo is a lot of fun.