Tomo MPH

Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
Question for Revo owners.... I know my volume for my good wave board and I know my volume for my true groveler. Only 2 liters between them, they are both XTR. And I want the Revo to sit in between as far as the waves go. I've never had a Tomo before do I order based on my preferred volume? Thoughts on sizing?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
What are the dimensions on your groveler and good wave board, and what's your height and weight?

Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
What are the dimensions on your groveler and good wave board, and what's your height and weight?
Groveler is 5'10 Lost Bottom Feeder 38 liters
Good board is a 6'2 Lost Quiver Killer 36 liters
I'm 6 foot 190 lbs plus a hooded wetsuit (Oregon)

So I'm thinking 5'11 Revo 37 liters. Seems pretty straightforward, but is there a surprise lurking in the Tomo volume equation? Any tips on reducing thickness vs width?

Reactions: Aruka

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I think 5’11 is too big IMO. I would hold the volume at your hpsb volume. Maybe stock 5’9. I wouldn't go any longer than your Bottom Feeder. And I would actually go 1 inch shorter or more depending on your preference.

paging @ReForest

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Question for Revo owners.... I know my volume for my good wave board and I know my volume for my true groveler. Only 2 liters between them, they are both XTR. And I want the Revo to sit in between as far as the waves go. I've never had a Tomo before do I order based on my preferred volume? Thoughts on sizing?
I can't speak to the REVO, but I have had a few of the stock EVOs over the years. I am 6'1/85 kg. I liked the 5'6" best at like 32 L. My normal boards are in the 33 to 34 L range. If I ordered a REVO, I'd probably go for 33 L. To me, the parallel rails make it feel longer than it is. That being said hydrodynamica seems to rip on the any planing hull regardless of length/volume. I suspect rippability is based on the skills of the user and mine are of the mediocre variety. :)

Reactions: MrCrash
Jun 21, 2021
That was the 1st thing I check - the rails! Mine felt really good! I didn't fondle your board - lol - just took a pic. But if yours come out like mine then i'm sure you will be stoked.

It was super weird. I found mine and when I saw the blue HS sitting next to mine it hit me that it might be yours. I looked around for another blue HS and it was the only one, so i took a pic and had a strong feeling it was yours.

I found randomly found my buddy's 5'0 Plasmic there too. There are a ton of board ready to be shipped or picked up. Its like a candy store in there. Gonna take the boys some beers and donuts tomorrow when i pick errr up. :jamon::jamon:
Wondering if you've spotted my GMM2 (seafoam green) and Hydroshort white with stringer as well. Your GMM looks amazing! Looking forward to your reviews.

Reactions: ReForest
Jan 19, 2018
That was the 1st thing I check - the rails! Mine felt really good! I didn't fondle your board - lol - just took a pic. But if yours come out like mine then i'm sure you will be stoked.

It was super weird. I found mine and when I saw the blue HS sitting next to mine it hit me that it might be yours. I looked around for another blue HS and it was the only one, so i took a pic and had a strong feeling it was yours.

I found randomly found my buddy's 5'0 Plasmic there too. There are a ton of board ready to be shipped or picked up. Its like a candy store in there. Gonna take the boys some beers and donuts tomorrow when i pick errr up. :jamon::jamon:
Sounds like fate waiting to happen! Hope you have a good time in the shop; tell the boys thank you for me as well. Hope to get a completed board/shipping notification soon - winds might be finally getting better up in SF over the next couple weeks.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Sounds like fate waiting to happen! Hope you have a good time in the shop; tell the boys thank you for me as well. Hope to get a completed board/shipping notification soon - winds might be finally getting better up in SF over the next couple weeks.
Surf has been really fun the past couple days. That might be what's causing a delay :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: HalfBlood415
Jan 19, 2018
@ReForest - how is your GMM2? I woke up in a sweat last night thinking about the QISC on my hydroshort; I realized I didn't see it in the pic you sent but later realized it's probably due to the picture angle and remembered your GMM2 came out with a pretty mild/moderate QISC.

Aug 18, 2020
@HalfBlood415 I ride a 5'6 and love the AM1 fins. I used to ride the mediums but have recently switched to the large and like them better. I've also been riding the Firewire fins in size large and really like those as well.

Johnny Norris from La Jolla likes the reactors in his. I didnt like those fins though.

Thats all i got for recs. I also like the Krypt Powerdrive fins in the Hydroshort as a thruster.
I'm still trying to dial in my fins for my Tomos (Revo and round tail Hydroshort). When do you choose the Powerdrives over the AMs? Do you prefer AMs in honeycomb or tech-flex?

Reactions: JDJ
Aug 18, 2020
Found this epic thread while doing research on my next board(s). Hoping I can get some sage advice.

I’m 6’2”, hovering around 210. Intermediate and still making progress on the growth curve. Home breaks are east coast Florida, with trips around the region for swell. Mostly high tide beachbreaks, low tide sandbars, and storm based swell occasionally spicing up the mush. Some surf travel, too.

Current Tomo boards:
El Tomo fish 6’4” x 21 ¾” x 3 1/16”, 46.5L
Revo 6’0” x 20 ⅞” x 2 ⅞”, 40.3 L
Hydroshort (round tail) 6’3” x 20 ¾” x 3”, 41L

The El Tomo was my first nice new board, and I went conservative based on Firewire’s volume calculator and FL conditions. Fun in 2-3’ and rode it approaching DOH hurricane swells. Feels a bit oversized and clunky at times, especially for turns.

Got the Revo and Hydroshort as customs from Tomo Australia. They feel better sized.

The Revo has dramatically improved my high tide beachbreak game, and also grovels well on the low tide sandbars. Sometimes it can feel like I’m more on top of the wave than in the wave when it’s steeper/hollower.

Got the Hydroshort as a semi step-up that has worked well on the bigger days. I’ve felt slightly under-gunned with it for solidly overhead storm swell, either not quite connecting, or getting burned by weiners on mid-lengths and longboards.

For next boards, I’m trying to figure out 1-2 of these that round out my quiver.
- Cymatic (6’0” 40.2L or 5’11” 38.2l?) still entices me, never tried a bat tail
- Hydronaut (6’6” 40.2L?) seems interesting for bigger stuff, CA coworkers love it
- Properly sized El Tomo (6’1” 40.8L?), maybe as a twin?
- Some other shape that fills a better slot?

• Haha
Reactions: Goodfish and JDJ

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Found this epic thread while doing research on my next board(s). Hoping I can get some sage advice.

I’m 6’2”, hovering around 210. Intermediate and still making progress on the growth curve. Home breaks are east coast Florida, with trips around the region for swell. Mostly high tide beachbreaks, low tide sandbars, and storm based swell occasionally spicing up the mush. Some surf travel, too.

Current Tomo boards:
El Tomo fish 6’4” x 21 ¾” x 3 1/16”, 46.5L
Revo 6’0” x 20 ⅞” x 2 ⅞”, 40.3 L
Hydroshort (round tail) 6’3” x 20 ¾” x 3”, 41L

The El Tomo was my first nice new board, and I went conservative based on Firewire’s volume calculator and FL conditions. Fun in 2-3’ and rode it approaching DOH hurricane swells. Feels a bit oversized and clunky at times, especially for turns.

Got the Revo and Hydroshort as customs from Tomo Australia. They feel better sized.

The Revo has dramatically improved my high tide beachbreak game, and also grovels well on the low tide sandbars. Sometimes it can feel like I’m more on top of the wave than in the wave when it’s steeper/hollower.

Got the Hydroshort as a semi step-up that has worked well on the bigger days. I’ve felt slightly under-gunned with it for solidly overhead storm swell, either not quite connecting, or getting burned by weiners on mid-lengths and longboards.

For next boards, I’m trying to figure out 1-2 of these that round out my quiver.
- Cymatic (6’0” 40.2L or 5’11” 38.2l?) still entices me, never tried a bat tail
- Hydronaut (6’6” 40.2L?) seems interesting for bigger stuff, CA coworkers love it
- Properly sized El Tomo (6’1” 40.8L?), maybe as a twin?
- Some other shape that fills a better slot?
I’d recommend 5’9” or 5’10” at the most for the cymatic. Really fun board, defiantly won’t experience any buyers remorse.

Reactions: cicaeda

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
getting burned by weiners on mid-lengths and longboards.
LOL. that is just the worst.

For your size and ability, sounds like your volume could be closer to upper 30’s, but less than 40L. Too much thickness is where boars start to feel corky to me. 3” is pretty thick even for a bigger guy.
Cymatic around chin to nose height would be a fun boar for punchy beachbreak waist to head high.
El tomo quad is great too. Yours just sounds too big. It should be small enough to feel easy to whip around on turns.

Reactions: cicaeda

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest - how is your GMM2? I woke up in a sweat last night thinking about the QISC on my hydroshort; I realized I didn't see it in the pic you sent but later realized it's probably due to the picture angle and remembered your GMM2 came out with a pretty mild/moderate QISC.
It will be there. Dont worry. The machine cuts the channels perfectly per the file on every board models. We were talking about he GMM2 not having them by design by Tomo. Yours will certainly have them.

As for the GMM2, there is a very interesting story.

The board sort of feels a little small and wide. Gonna ride it some more, now that the swell has died down, and see how it goes. I rode it for the first time yesterday and there was still some size and power and the wind was on it a little bit. 3.9ft @ 15 SSW with about 5-8 South wind. The conditions probably not ideal for a 5'0 x 18 1/8 x 2 1/4. lol. Immediate thoughts are it feels like a tiny skateboard. Rode it as a quad. Large firewire fronts and powerdrive quad rears. Felt super fast and loose. But when i would turn into the lip it was so quick and the rail line felt so short that is was hard to get a good turn off. Went in and switched out the rears and put in the center fin and it tamed down the speed factor a bit and felt good on a couple. Definitely need to ride it some more to find out if its a keeper.

The cool part was I picked up the board around 11am. Went to the harbor. But on the pad. Surfed it. Then on the way home, around 2pm, went back to XTR to give the guys a 12 pack of modelo and say thank you, and ran into Richard Kenvin! It was a super random chance meeting! I guess he rarely goes to XTR and the only reason he was there was because Javier was running out of HD lams. We talked about Tomo and the GMM2, and since i just rode it, we talked about how it feels, etc. I told him it felt small and he laughed! lol. He was surprised i was riding a 5'0". He told me to go 5'5" (which is way too big for me). I told him if this one doesnt work out i will go 5'1 or 5'2. But i haven't given up on this one yet.

Anyways... sorry for the long post. It was a fun day. New board. Swell and warm water. Got to meet RK. STOKED!
:jamon:

IMG_8296.JPEGIMG_8297.JPEGIMG_8298.JPEG
:jamon: