Tomo MPH

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
It was called the Dribble Whisperer... i think RK and Dan came up with that name because the waves are always so small in SoCal (like a dribble) and that board worked so well in small conditions. I actually think the GMM2 is an updated version of the Dribble Whisperer. :unsure: Not 100% sure though...

I remember that video as well. Really good footage of Dan riding those early models. I managed to boot-leg download a copy of the Vader footage before it was taken down and reposted it on YouTube but didnt download the Dribble Whisperer one. Dan is ripping lowers on a Vader! :jamon:

How's that hodad at the end of the clip throwing Dan's board back to him and nosepicking it straight into the bottom. :foreheadslap:
Dan's surfing in that clip was so good.
In contrast a clip of Kelly Slater and pros surfing Trestles by SoCal surfer (or something like that) popped up on my Youtube vids the other day and I watched it until I got bored with the surfing 1/2 way through. In contrast that clip of Dan's makes me want to go surfing which is pretty good because lately I need all the motivation I can get to paddle out.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
How's that hodad at the end of the clip throwing Dan's board back to him and nosepicking it straight into the bottom. :foreheadslap:
Dan's surfing in that clip was so good.
In contrast a clip of Kelly Slater and pros surfing Trestles by SoCal surfer (or something like that) popped up on my Youtube vids the other day and I watched it until I got bored with the surfing 1/2 way through. In contrast that clip of Dan's makes me want to go surfing which is pretty good because lately I need all the motivation I can get to paddle out.
thats Tomo’s best selling point… dude definitely rips.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I was surprised that the incut rail line actually turns well. The swing weight in the nose (tip?) feels sluggish, though.

Jan 19, 2018
The Hydroshort is probably one of my favorites because it has such a wide range. :)

I think you are right about the fin configuration. I rarely ever use the Hydroshort as a quad and when I did, it did not have the same hold or drive.

For durability I would go wooden stringer or SL-CK. Those are both solid constructions. If you have the cash do SL-CK with full carbon strip on bottom.
Most people order (myself included) order 8.C but 8.0 is good too and will not add that much weight. I bet Shey could give you an estimate in the weight difference and its probably less than 0.5 ounces.
Resin tint would be sick...
Thanks dude! I just heard back from Shey and he actually recommended the Parallel Carbon in 8.0 for my height and weight (5'11, 170). It's actually a tad cheaper than the full SL-CK so maybe I'll just go with that? I'm crippled by all the choices I have!

One last question for the length, I'm stuck between the 5'10 and 5'9. Since I'm 5'11 and I'm worried that the 5'10 will be too long since so much foam is up in the nose and most people seem to love it 2-3 inches shorter than their height (Tomo, Salas, Wooly, etc). I think 5'10 would push the foam to closer to the 31L range when I should be surfing around 30 (especially considering XTR floats a bit more). My DD is 5'9, but I also would like to extend the range of the HS a bit into the solid overhead + range, and maybe getting the 5'10 will be good for those scenarios like you said. Writing this out, I'm leaning more towards the 5'9 but wanted to get your thoughts before I pull the trigger today!

Reactions: JDJ and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Thanks dude! I just heard back from Shey and he actually recommended the Parallel Carbon in 8.0 for my height and weight (5'11, 170). It's actually a tad cheaper than the full SL-CK so maybe I'll just go with that? I'm crippled by all the choices I have!

One last question for the length, I'm stuck between the 5'10 and 5'9. Since I'm 5'11 and I'm worried that the 5'10 will be too long since so much foam is up in the nose and most people seem to love it 2-3 inches shorter than their height (Tomo, Salas, Wooly, etc). I think 5'10 would push the foam to closer to the 31L range when I should be surfing around 30 (especially considering XTR floats a bit more). My DD is 5'9, but I also would like to extend the range of the HS a bit into the solid overhead + range, and maybe getting the 5'10 will be good for those scenarios like you said. Writing this out, I'm leaning more towards the 5'9 but wanted to get your thoughts before I pull the trigger today!
I would say go with your gut and get the 5'9". ;)

Reactions: JDJ

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Theres been lots of videos the last few months posted by RK on Insta (hydrodynamica) of him riding the GMM2 above. I've seen him out riding it a lot and he's absolutely ripping on it. Textbook smooth style. Dude is like 60!

HD blue stringer or standard stringer.
8.C glassing. Don't stiffen it up with more glass. It doesn't need it.
@ReForest For a 5'0 GMM2, I would highly recommend stringerless. According to RK, the main reason for not getting SL is breakage, which shouldn't be an issue at your size and for such a short length. The flex is perfect for this design and in the softer waves you will likely wanna surf it in. Most of the GMMs & CyberSims I have seen RK and his crew on are SL- his latest one with the red CK insert was a blem that was sitting in the sale rack at XTR for months. I had a 5'6 SL that I wish I never sold (it was my 3rd GMM). The blue HD stripe SL was perfect for my weight, but I sold it too a buddy last year (he's almost 200lbs, and loves it). The Stringered one I got from Havoc is my favorite dims, so that's the one I kept... but I just wish it didn't have a stringer. Miss dat flex.

Something I suspect: The El Tomo has less rocker.
El tomo quad fish has a fairly flat rocker. Great for weak, soft, slopey reefs

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Tried to suss out a GMM2 through Tomo Australia but they tried to push the El Tomo onto me, even wanted me to pay and then we could dial in the specifics after. I suppose they’re probably busy enough anyway.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
That makes sense.
I tried to get Dan to make me a GMM2 rocker with a hydro squash outline once. He said he couldn't because the GMM2 was RK's shape.

Since RK is loving the GMM2 so much right now, I wonder if I can convince him to commission Dan make a "next step" version of that board for bigger waves
:unsure:

Edit: I just slid into RK's DM's. :dancing:

Last edited: