Tomo MPH

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
mph mach speed midlength

even though I joke about midlength I wanna get my dad a lost crowd killer or something to get him more enthused. He has a 9'6" robert august tank thing with dick length rail thickness

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Damn that looks really fun. Mid length thruster Tomo sounds super fun. Really digging the design.

Reactions: jkb

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I've owned multiple Tomos and thought they were all fun...but a "big wave paddle board" that is ALSO a "mid-length for small days"? Come on. There's acceptable levels of exaggeration in surf marketing (it paddles like a longboard)...then there's that. One board quiver!! 25ft Sunset to 2ft San O!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Based on planning hull theory, it features a long straight rail line with a torpedo nose profile for safety and lowing change of nosedive plus wider tail block for speed. This achieves several benefits. 1. It allows the design to be ridden shorter while maintaining adequate volume, rail line and paddle. 2. Projection and drive through the turns. lowering drag to outrun big sections where a low area pin tail may slow the board down.
But if the outline is too straight, the board won't turn when you set it on rail. In the limit, look at those other Hydrodynamica videos where they're riding boxier planing hulls: the turns suck. Do Tomos really have a "long straight rail line"? They look like they have a similar outline to other HPSBs to me but I'm certainly no shaper.

The gimmick with the Tomos appears to be the channels which increases the finishing costs. Firewire must have some process that brings that cost back down.

Full disclosure: I own two Tomos.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I've owned multiple Tomos and thought they were all fun...but a "big wave paddle board" that is ALSO a "mid-length for small days"? Come on. There's acceptable levels of exaggeration in surf marketing (it paddles like a longboard)...then there's that. One board quiver!! 25ft Sunset to 2ft San O!
No wonder beachhouse in SB has Tomos OTR.......

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Crazy chit!
It makes sense that a wide tailed fish would outrun a pintail thruster or even a pintail quad.

If you're a big wave surfer you want speed right?