to reserve a hotel or not in costa rica

Dec 15, 2004
I'll be there from july-august. I've had people tell me to not worry about it till I'm there, and some tell me that the cheap places can fill up pretty quick. I'd love the freedom to just go where i want when I'm down there, but I'll be on a pretty tight budget and don't want to spend the money on more expensive digs if that's all that's available. Suggestions? And yes this is my first time down there (first real surf trip actually), and I'm nervous/excited as all hell.

LESider

Miki Dora status
Nov 25, 2003
LowerEastSide NYC
july/aug.=rain so there will be no shortage of places to stay in any budget. I usally go in the dry season and never have a problem finding places to stay.
Where are you going?

Dec 15, 2004
I'll be there a month and I plan on starting out in santa teresa, then heading south to hermosa and eventually dominical, with detours to certain long left points and if the swell and my money allow me. But I really like the idea of going without a real plan and not being forced into staying in one spot.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
Don't lock yourself into any reservations. Just go, you'll find plenty of places to stay.

LESider

Miki Dora status
Nov 25, 2003
LowerEastSide NYC
If your getting a car get one of the bigger 4WD. Going to Santa Theresa in the rainy season is one muddy adventure. The rest of your trip will be smooth sailing after the Mal Pais driving adventure.

A good place in Santa Theresa is Santa Theresa Cabinas its pretty cheap and right across from the access road from the main break.

Dec 15, 2004
I'm not going to have my own car there so I'll be going by bus until cobano and then I'll have to find a 4x4 taxi. It might be a struggle to get to Santa Teresa but it sounds like a killer place and I think it will be a good place to get used to the waves before I hit up the heavier spots.

Sep 3, 2003
If you fly into San Jose, it's a good idea to spend the first night there then drive to the coast. The driving from San Jose to Playa Hermosa can be a little dangerous due to the trucks on the road, but is doable if you go slow. I don't know about taking buses. 4-wheeler is way to go as it affords you best mobility in the rainy season in which you're going. BTW, if you tell the hotels on the coast you're a surfer, they often give a "surfer discount". No kidding. Like 10% or so.