Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Dec 5, 2010
Been thinking about a banjo fish, how would it do in 2-4 ft east coast beach break, any recs on sizing, I’m 6’0, 165

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hey Ruka:

I haven’t ridden my Banana Fish enough to give it a full review but what I’ve tried so far, I like a lot. It is definitely more maneuverable off the tail than either the Quantum or TKF. It’s also less foiled than the TKF. The closest analogy is, IMO, the Fuse. But I think the BF may have more rocker. I prefer the BF to the Fuse because the BF turns as well or better but stil has a nice wide tail for speed generation. It’s a good design. My version has Flare rocker but Tim is also making one with Gx rocker, which I would love to try.

I think the BF would size up nicely as a long fish. I would avoid going too thick. I might also ask Tim to move the fins up slightly to increase your ability to turn.

I maybe posted these earlier but here are pics:

View attachment 165567

View attachment 165568

View attachment 165569
she looks like a good time.

Reactions: JDJ

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Been thinking about a banjo fish, how would it do in 2-4 ft east coast beach break, any recs on sizing, I’m 6’0, 165
I think the Banjo is a good choice for someone wanting a fish that works in beach breaks. I think it does well in small surf but mine was EPS which probably didn't hurt its low end.

Sizing wise it'd depend on your age and ability level but somewhere in the 5-6 to 5-9 long X 20.5 - 21+ wide X whatever thickness you need to give yourself a couple/few liters of volume over your daily driver.

I am 6-3 and I was about 170 when I ordered mine @ 5'7 X 20.75 x 2.4

Not sure on volume maybe like 32L?

Kind of at the low end for my size at the time but I did really love it. I'm quite a bit heavier now like 190 so I'd go a bit bigger if I was to order another one.

Reactions: 302PD

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Whose is this?!? Confess ! :LOL:

View attachment 165705
That's mine that Varial messed up on and didn't add the grey tint. You can see my name on the dimensions lam. I'm surprised it took Varial so long to list it. I was notified from Tim 2/20/23 that he was going to have to reshape a blank. They knocked-out the redo in less than 10 business days.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ and Aruka

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
That's mine that Varial messed up on and didn't add the grey tint. You can see my name on the dimensions lam. I'm surprised it took Varial so long to list it. I was notified from Tim 2/20/23 that he was going to have to reshape a blank. The knocked-out the redo in less than 10 business days.
I saw it on their page a while back. Mayve a fall swell marketing push to clear their rack.

Reactions: ChaseTMP
Dec 15, 2019
I find the Banjo to be a great fish. Have surfed it in all sorts of conditions. My main one has glass on keels. I'm 49 5'11 180wgt and in PR. Has a lot of range and have pushed its limits. It grovels great as well. Not as good as let's say a Flying Manta. I ride probably a little bigger than most folks for my size. 5'9.5x21x2.75. 37L. I recently got a Flare/RR and have been grabbing that more little more on higher end days. 2ft-4 would work really well. If the beaches you surf mainly are powerful or dumpy and i was younger I would probably be grabbing the flare on the soft side Banjo. If 1-2ft these days and I'm logging it. Hope that helps with some reference.