Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Isn't that a grovler ?
I don’t think so, never ridden tho. I have the OG at 5’5 (I’m 6’1), but it goes fine, ridden up to HH. if anything, it is always a little squirly so when it gets bigger the sensation isn’t new.

I sold off my 5’7 lightbender, I don’t think it’d stretch so well with its foil, maybe consider a shorter moonstone if you want an album semi long fish. I have a 6’3 widened and thinned. it’s fun but never had it in good waves bc we haven’t had any or I couldn’t surf bc of life.

Reactions: j_mac and prsoza

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Who has a Flare Up, and what are your dims?

kind of want a 6’1 or so for SD NCSD winter to compliment my 5’9 swallow.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Ive finally ridden my 5'11 Stamps Rerun (swallow tail) enough times to give a quick review. The foam distribution is interesting. The rails are pretty full all the way towards the front with a pretty flat deck. I didnt really like it at first when I was using AM2s. I had a hard time sinking the rails and pivoting. I then switched to some old rusty honeycomb fins and the board lit up. I think this board wants slightly smaller fins to compensate for the full rail. It has a healthy amount of rocker, but with the boxy rails and foam in the front I havent had problems generating speed in pretty mushy small surf. The tail is thinned out and sensitive. Ive been loving how roundhouses feel on this. Nice combo of hold and pivot.

Overall super stoked on this. Im now back on a PU thruster kick, but my varial twin sparkbox from JDJ is still an all time favorite. Both boards have similar rails so its easy to transition from one to the other.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 6.54.24 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-22 at 6.54.41 AM.png

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach
I’ve been riding a 6’0 grinder x 3-4 days a week for the last 3 months and I have to say this model is right at the top of my all time fav hpsb’s. This is my third one and I’ve said the same about all three. It’s always a good sign when a board just feels good with any of my fin setups. They’ve varied from swallow tail to squash, poly to eps. This lastest is a squash in eps. I like the looks of some of his other board models but there really isn’t anything I dislike about the GX for me to want to try something else. But I just pulled the trigger on a 6’3 Grinder X round tail as sort of a next step. With all the good surf we’ve had so far I feel like this will come in handy this winter. Stoked!

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I’ve been riding a 6’0 grinder x 3-4 days a week for the last 3 months and I have to say this model is right at the top of my all time fav hpsb’s. This is my third one and I’ve said the same about all three. It’s always a good sign when a board just feels good with any of my fin setups. They’ve varied from swallow tail to squash, poly to eps. This lastest is a squash in eps. I like the looks of some of his other board models but there really isn’t anything I dislike about the GX for me to want to try something else. But I just pulled the trigger on a 6’3 Grinder X round tail as sort of a next step. With all the good surf we’ve had so far I feel like this will come in handy this winter. Stoked!
what fins u like in squash tail one? If El Niño here, may need to get a thruster again.Looking at 6’1 stamps shadow or rerun. Maybe a gx nkfefus file

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
I am planning on ordering a Grinder X. What is your height and weight? I am thinking of a 5'11" or 6'

Reactions: j_mac and paunch23

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
any banana fish reviews? @JDJ or anyone else?

i need a good fish in my life and im debating between a twin or quad but leaning towards a kind of stretched out quad fish for versatility.