Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Anybody spent time with a Habanero yet? Curious to hear how it compares to a GX from someone who's ridden both.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i’m assuming it is spicier
Good one Habanerdo.

I'm curious about it as well. My GX is great but sometimes I feel like the nose is a little flat and catches when I'm getting super radical. Probably because I ordered it kinda stretched out dims. The first one I had was shorter and didn't have that problem but I didn't like the short length for paddling and wave catchering. Thinking a Hab around my height would be a fun one. Probably have to wait till spring to find out though.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I (6” 170) took out my fuse (5’10” 21 3/8” 2 5/8”) for her maiden voyage, at a popular beach break in the PNW. Shoulder high sets, pretty long period swell, but not pitching or anything. I hadn’t surfed in about a month.

Board went bananas. Chunky dims, but somehow doesn’t feel chunky at all. It really glides into waves, i felt like i had extra second or two at the take-off, a sensation i used to get with my erie peeples fish. Super fast down the line, but when i put my foot back all the way against the stop i could really move it around. Felt especially drivey on backhand bottom turns.

I ran it as a quad with kommunity k3 futures fronts (aside from being festooned with slater, are pretty fantastic, closest thing to an am1.5 i’ve found) and 4.15 flat foiled rears. I’ve liked this combo in the past and it felt good here. My fuse has a thruster option but i don’t think i’m ever going to use it.

Oh, and the build quality is excellent. 4s+4e/4 warp, feels very solid.

Going to bed early so i can light this fuse again tomorrow!

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Has anybody else apart from Mtruong put in any time on a Vulture? I’ve had so much fun on my fuse in the past 2 days, and i feel this might fill in the (small) gap btw. my fuse and my flare.

How are you sizing them, what tail shape, etc.

Such a good experience ordering from Tim it’s devilishly tricky to resist doing so again.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Shadow goes gud. Does better than GX in flat faced stuff. Similar rockers but maybe a little less in the tail for Shadow? Wing + lil vee feels like keeps tail free in weak surf. GX better for in pocket vertical surging. Shadow better low end and better in mush but still fun in head high +. Rode the Shadow as a truster and quad, both were good. AM2's with smaller trailer was probably my favorite for small waves. Rode it as a quad on head high days j-bay and had some great sessions.

Probably overlaps big time with your giggly box but maybe a shorter/fatter shadow would be a good one for smaller days? Not that I've ever let overlap deter me from buying a new board...

Reactions: Havoc