Tie Down Your Boards Well

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I can speak firsthand to car break ins. Five years ago I went out with someone else at Noriega, which is a rarity for me. Instead of pulling out his valet key he hid the whole fob under the wheel well. Came back an hour later to find no wallets..no car keys..and they had locked us out of the car. Nice touch. Mind you I've always locked my car with a valet key when I go out and over 15 years I've never had a problem. But since that morning I'm pretty paranoid and will hide my license and one credit card in the car while leaving everything else (debit card, costco, AAA, five bucks in cash) in the glove compartment. Key fob and phone are hidden as well. I figure if they smash the window they'll take the five bucks and useless debit card and move on.

At least the session was good that morning five years ago. If I had gotten robbed on a morning like today I would have been pissed.
I can speak first hand concerning car break-ins.

Just the other day out in front of my place, 3 aves from the beach, coming back from a surf -a side window was broken out and the front window was shattered on a never seen before SUV. Happened between 9-10 am. I see tweaker guys all the time cruising on their ghetto bikes up and down the streets, not going anywhere. The scary ones are the guys just walking looking into cars while a newish muscle car follows close behind. Never a front plate and always blacked-out windows.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Why do people strap boards to the roof if they have an suv or van with room for boards to fit? Seems like a hassle
Built in roof racks AND I use 3 straps to hold down my boards. Already went through the "we have lift off, we have lift off at 0730 hours" in the 1960's on PCH. Never again. 3 straps. Lifted Sequoia makes it a bit harder to strap down. "Flying surfboards in my Car getting in a wreck" is the name of my new band ~

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Built in roof racks AND I use 3 straps to hold down my boards. Already went through the "we have lift off, we have lift off at 0730 hours" in the 1960's on PCH. Never again. 3 straps. Lifted Sequoia makes it a bit harder to strap down. "Flying surfboards in my Car getting in a wreck" is the name of my new band ~
These work great strong, easy, cheap (less then thule or yakima same straps), and hopefully long lasting.

Reactions: PPK96754

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
everything but the longboard goes in the car. I use regular old tie downs with the spring buckle on a roof rack, never had any issues. The key is to tie a knot with the excess right after the buckle, if it tries to come loose it only moves until it hits the knot.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I bought these RV Inno racks about 15 years ago - expensive, about $180 now - I have an older design but mine work the same way as these newer ones. I'm so glad I bought them - really a quality piece of goods, well thought out in every way, just a pleasure to use. There's a bit of air space compression in the hard-ish rubber cushions the board sits on so as you click stop crank the steel cables down to hold the board that compression keeps it tight - and you don't need much pressure either. The straps stay elevated when released so its easier to get the board under them when setting it on them at first. And they lock which is great.

We do a lot of 4-6 hour drives to the nicer part of Wildwood New Jersey and Ocean City Maryland with kids and stuff in the minivan so the boards have to go on top. I adjust the board as far back as the minivan's rear door swinging open will allow, putting the rear fin down and in the front over the windshield often allows the board's rocker to rise the front of the board above the rear door so I can open the door fully (and keeps the fin from hitting stuff if you're parking in a lot under a hotel) if not I'll rig a small rope to limit the rear door's opening in some way so it won't hit the board. And I always add a bungee cord attached to the sides of the roof rack in front (not just the center piece) strapped over the surfboard figuring that the front is the worst place to have a single point of failure (I've always used two of whatever in front on long trips).

With the locking feature it's nice to not have to worry in a rest area restaurant or to have to watch the car from inside the restaurant. Even at the hotel, I'll just leave my 10' 6" board on top of the car the whole weekend or week, I use it as a sort of storage locker - easier than taking it up into the room all the time. And if its flat - sometimes I never take it down at all.
I know there's some risk relying on the locks but I think they provide enough deterrent so the thief will chose a different car and I'm fully willing to lose the board some day (cost of convenience), but so far 15 years - something like 30 + trips, maybe 85 nights total out on the roof - no problem yet. Of course I'm not ever anyplace loaded with tweakers either.
pic_kayak03.jpg

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Does anyone know where to just get basic hard surf racks anymore? Are they still made? Not the pads that sit on the roof and run through the car, but the ones that are probably aluminum tubing that you find on old beach cars? You know the ones...

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Damn, $360. I see a van along the Goleta coast all the time with those OG turquoise ones. The soft racks or straps that go inside the car seem way more secure to me than those bungees.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Does anyone know where to just get basic hard surf racks anymore? Are they still made? Not the pads that sit on the roof and run through the car, but the ones that are probably aluminum tubing that you find on old beach cars? You know the ones...

barrecrafters were the extruded alum. ones.
not sure if they’re still in business...

the old coated steel pipe ones were “bay standards” - aloha springs and/or aloha rubbers. i don’t think they make them any more...

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
$950 lmfao

i sold a near mint ‘63 bug to a good friend. included were a set of aloha springs. he sold the alohas on ebay a few years later. i forgot what he got for them, but i was shocked! $$$! :roflmao: he bought the car back in ‘93 or ‘94...