Tie Down Your Boards Well

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
In the Bay Area this weekend to surf for a few days. Yesterday I was driving north on the 101 around Sausalito, when my board on the roof lifted up and flopped over sideways, slapping the side of my vehicle, covering my drivers side window like it was hung on the side of my SUV. Quite the slap sound and surprise in my peripheral at 55mph. o_O Quickly looked in my rear view, saw everyone slowing down behind me and merging into other lanes, then I hit the brakes pretty hard and squeezed in tiny area on the shoulder. Then climbed out my passenger side to assess the situation.

First time this has ever happened to me. When I put the front strap on, I didn't loop it around my roof rack on the opposite side of my board like i normally do. So the strap basically went across the board, over the rail, and back to the roof rail along the edge of the roof. Whoops! Board was barely hanging on by the back strap. I was literally about 2 minutes past the Golden Gate Bridge. Could have been a disaster if it flew off, especially on the Golden Gate!

Tie down your boards well!

Also, SF locs, are the parking lots at OB closed permanently for the highway fixes or is this a covid thing? I had to park really far away to get to the beach, and it was the most people I've ever seen at OB on a non-event weekend.

Also, any word on when that section of highway 1 between Sloat and Skyline going to open up again? I completely forgot that was closed drove right into the traffic mess. :foreheadslap:

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
not a lot of places to pull over just across the bridge, glad that worked out well for you, was it hairball getting back on 101*?

* keep that "the" stuff for highways south of big sur :monkey:
What was hairball was getting my board back onto the roof, with my drivers door open as I stood on my door jam, while cars whizzed by. Constantly checking the oncoming traffic. The area I pulled off there was about a foot between the side of my car and the slow lane. Surprisingly, there was just enough gap in traffic to allow me to pull out, as soon as I got back in my vehicle.

Reactions: the janitor
Jul 8, 2008
Didn't realize the lot by Beach Chalet (north side) was closed, it was open not that long ago. Sloat parking lot is open but perpetually full. Great hwy has been closed since covid hit but there is plenty of parking along the street (curiously called great highway) on the other side of the divider. Almost always you can score a spot within 2-3 blocks to whichever avenue you want to paddle out.

But today was in fact pretty damned crowded.

70 degrees+minimal swell+covid=bad crowds.

Reactions: r32

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago and almost lost a custom wayno 9'7". I hadn't used racks for years and didn't loop the straps under both sides of the racks. Couldn't see what was going on overhead but other drivers on the freeway let me know pretty quickly.

• Wow
Reactions: r32

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
What was hairball was getting my board back onto the roof, with my drivers door open as I stood on my door jam, while cars whizzed by. Constantly checking the oncoming traffic. The area I pulled off there was about a foot between the side of my car and the slow lane. Surprisingly, there was just enough gap in traffic to allow me to pull out, as soon as I got back in my vehicle.
Always strap boards to passenger side and recently scored NTS straps which make it nice and secure to rack.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Why do people strap boards to the roof if they have an suv or van with room for boards to fit? Seems like a hassle
Short boards go inside. Longboards go outside.

And yah, it's a pain, but I've simplified the tie down to one lashing strap in front and simple bungee cord in the back. Pretty easy.

I use one of these because they are very light and the metal on the end isn't some big hulking piece of metal like most lashing straps.

and one of these because it's light, poly coated and has lasted forevs.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2008
I can speak firsthand to car break ins. Five years ago I went out with someone else at Noriega, which is a rarity for me. Instead of pulling out his valet key he hid the whole fob under the wheel well. Came back an hour later to find no wallets..no car keys..and they had locked us out of the car. Nice touch. Mind you I've always locked my car with a valet key when I go out and over 15 years I've never had a problem. But since that morning I'm pretty paranoid and will hide my license and one credit card in the car while leaving everything else (debit card, costco, AAA, five bucks in cash) in the glove compartment. Key fob and phone are hidden as well. I figure if they smash the window they'll take the five bucks and useless debit card and move on.

At least the session was good that morning five years ago. If I had gotten robbed on a morning like today I would have been pissed.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
That's what I use, 2 straps. My lb fits inside but the car is new and being the land of beach tar, I don't want the interior covered in it. I think the board was doing about a 45 degree and sideways wheelie on the roof, not covering the windows (which must have sucked big time). The straps are 15' long they can be double wrapped.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That's what I use, 2 straps. My lb fits inside but the car is new and being the land of beach tar, I don't want the interior covered in it. I think the board was doing about a 45 degree and sideways wheelie on the roof, not covering the windows (which must have sucked big time). The straps are 15' long they can be double wrapped.

• Wow
Reactions: PJ, tacos and _____

PeederNorteRips

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2008
In Your Face
Visit site
Back in the 60s, headed to Newport, RI from the northern end of the state. Before 195 was finished so you had to go the old way via Bristol, etc. A car passed us somewhere around Warren that had an LB on the roof tied to old fashioned lumber racks. As we come off the Mt Hope bridge we see the same car entering the road from the turn off that goes down to the water. Car has just one rack now.
When we get to the beach we see the guy pull into the lot shortly after we do. Ask the guy what happened. His rear rack and board blew off the car while crossing the bridge. He drove down to the landing below. Put his wetsuit on, and swam out to get the board that was still strapped to the rack. He released the strap and let the rack sink to the bottom because he couldn't paddle with the rack still attached. It was windy that day. Stiff autumn offshores.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Boards always go inside.

A lot to be said for leaving a large dog in the car with the windows cracked to deter thieves. Well, at least until the caimans can be properly trained.