Thoughts on Roberts' Twonzer setup

May 20, 2020
So I'm considering a disco diamond but I have no experience with his twonzer set-up. I've been told you can ride it as a twonzer or thruster and maybe a twin plus trailer but not a standard quad. If I want to ride it as a twonzer, I have to buy his fins. Anyone have any experience on Roberts' twonzer? Or the disco diamond? Does the twonzer give the speed and feel of a quad?

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
I have a Brofish, and a Starchip. Brofish acts more like a twin Keel than a quad. Starchip closer to a quad I guess. Brofish will slide the tail sometimes, but in a good way. Starchip tail never broke free on me when I didn't want it to. Twonzer setup is fast. I love it. Just wish the fins were available in a lighter construction.

Edit: I wanted to mention that for me, the Twonzer fins are what make those boards work well. Both are keepers for me, and I will probably order a smaller Brofish when XTR has a sale. So yeah, you would probably want the Twonzers if you bought that board. Most shops I see selling them include the fins with the board.

Last edited:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
im really thinking there's somethign to that twonzer setup....would love to score a used board with it ready to go. speaking of which...that dirtybird model of his looks frickin money too

May 20, 2020
I agree. He has so many models that look good. There must be something to the twonzer set up. Seems like he puts it on most of his boards. I'd love to hear from people with experience on them. Someone on here was selling a big disco diamond a year ago or so. For some reason, it won't come up on the search

Aug 31, 2019
I have the disco diamond and starchip. Both boards are fun but with the starchip I preferred the thruster setup. The disco diamond is awesome with the twonzer fins, lots of drive and hold but still loose for tail slides. I haven't tried the disco with a thruster or 2+1 setup.

Unfortunately I don't ride the boards much as I got them when I was 20lbs heavier. I will take the disco out in gutless small surf and it's still a blast. I will probably keep them as I will probably gain that weight back as I get older.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
come on GWS...i know you or roberts got some kind of 200 lbs twonzer thing around 6 feet give or take. if it's roughly ridden and priced around the 20W definition of well used, I'll cruise up and buy it, get you drunk maybe break a few bottles and kick a few trashcans in kenny's name, find a decent burrito spot if there are any...say the word.

Reactions: MathDebater

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Maybe he didnt want to fart all the enrgy off the fronts

We all know by now the placements were not the best as well , why not the angles

Now lets get to the asym set ups that Everyone copied that are - not the best ;-)

Hate me for the truth that makes your next board More Fun !

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
^ looks like you kept the cant the same for the canards, is there a reason why you didn't increase?
basically whatGreg said. The canard is supposed to clean the flow over the main fin, not cause more turbulence.
One thing i did agree with uncle WJ on was the slot had to be within tolerances.

im sure Roberts has his own reasons for his placements, as Empire surfboards in the UK.

Different feelings are fun, they don’t all have to be the ultimate in high performance all the time

Reactions: need 4 speed

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
The funny thing is, the less cant on the lead fin, the less I like the setup. I ride mine with large Bonzer side fins up front with a full Bonzer cant. I have tried dozens of setups and nothing works as well for me personally. Sometimes, when you break "the rules" you find out "the rules" weren't rules after all. At various points, that's pretty much the story of how surfboards evolved and improved. Breaking the rules

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
The funny thing is...I have tried dozens of setups and nothing works as well for me personally. ... Breaking the rules
This is exactly my point. There's all kinds of formulas out there, and people get stuck in that line of thought. Something doesn't have to "work" scientifically to have a great feeling.

Sure, it may not be the ultimate in high performance, but it just feels right. To me, that's always been the goal.

Reactions: flyinraptr