Thoughts/Experience with Trimcraft Wills Fish?

Jan 28, 2024
I've been considering getting a Wills Fish, and I came across one in excellent condition nearby. While I understand that its its a performance fish, I'm interested in how it would stack up against a more retro-style fish?

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
It's a rippers' fish. Needs to be driven off the back foot. Never rode mine in anything that didn't have some push. Was able to ride it up to DOH. Would not select for so cal personally, there are better options for the pitchy, soft close-outs of the south bay.

Reactions: sdsrfr

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
It's a rippers' fish. Needs to be driven off the back foot. Never rode mine in anything that didn't have some push. Was able to ride it up to DOH. Would not select for so cal personally, there are better options for the pitchy, soft close-outs of the south bay.
Why does it need push, more rocker than a typical fish?

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Surfing 30+ years, but no ripper here. And more of a neutral/ front foot surfer. Wills was my favorite fish ever. Just 'outgrew' it.

Jul 18, 2018
Surfing 30+ years, but no ripper here. And more of a neutral/ front foot surfer. Wills was my favorite fish ever. Just 'outgrew' it.
I've got one, love it at my local beachbreak and travels well. But IMHO it works best in 3-6' and potentially bigger depending on the surfer/wave.
Not the best groveler but it could work.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
as far as I know, sadly, Zippi passed away recently, but his board designs are still available and being made. Check the website or zippifish IG account

Jul 18, 2018
Thanks. I don't feel like the South Bay is really a soft beach break personally, definitely pitchy and closed out with the occasional corner. Is there a particular fish you would recommend for Hermosa / MB area?

Thanks, mainly looking for something that is good in small 2-3 but can also be versatile in bigger surf. Does it have too much rocker for the smaller stuff? I have a Barahona Tiburon and Twinsman for better surf but would still like something that does well in pitchy beach break. My current Barahona fish is fine, but very wide and retro shape.

Thanks, I'll reach out to him see what his pricing is like - don't see any used on Craigslist / FB Marketplace.
As long as there's a little push it'll work. Just not my favorite board when it's barely 2-3', high tide etc. I'm also a pretty average surfer so YMMV.

I've never surfed a twinsman but I've checked them out on the rack. I'm guessing, but I think the Will's fish has a bit less tail rocker and a touch more tail width. The two boards likely overlap a bit with the Will's being a bit better for smaller surf.

If you search in the Album thread, I think @jmac did some rocker shots comparing the two boards 1-2 years ago.

FWIW, I throw the Machado keels on when the surf is small (a little extra drive) and use the Piggybacks (also trying out TA's) when it's bigger.

Reactions: trifish and Aruka
Jul 18, 2018
@bvendley Thanks - appreciate the insight. Do you think there is a better "performance" fish that wouldn't overlap as much with the Twinsman? In my experience the Twinsman really needs a good wave to get it going otherwise its slow as hell. When the waves are good the Twinsman is magic though.

I want something that can grovel when its small and soft but also hold in better surf (below head high). I was thinking of looking into Seaside and RNF as I see them getting recommended all the time on the web.
Happy to help but I can only draw from my personal experience and sorry but I've been dealing with a neck injury so haven't been out on my WF in months.
I think if you're a competent surfer that the WF will work just fine from 2-3' to head high +. I live in NY so our surf is rarely powerful and often dumpy and I think the WF is a good time. I also brought it to Maui last winter and it handled everything really well.That said, it's a bit more curvy and high performance than a standard fish.
If you're like me and sometimes land a little heavy on your back foot in smaller surf you might want something a little fatter and flatter; Zippi/RichFish/Mandala etc.
Sizing is also relevant; my WF is through Trimcraft, hand shaped by John Simon at 5'6 19-3/4 2-5/16 (I'm 5'11 170lbs). I'm sure a little more thickness/width could help in smaller surf.
I had a RNF a long long time ago. I loved it but it's been too long for me to honestly compare the two. Don't really think you can go wrong with either.
Good luck!

Reactions: daave

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Thanks. I don't feel like the South Bay is really a soft beach break personally, definitely pitchy and closed out with the occasional corner. Is there a particular fish you would recommend for Hermosa / MB area?

Thanks, mainly looking for something that is good in small 2-3 but can also be versatile in bigger surf. Does it have too much rocker for the smaller stuff? I have a Barahona Tiburon and Twinsman for better surf but would still like something that does well in pitchy beach break. My current Barahona fish is fine, but very wide and retro shape.

Thanks, I'll reach out to him see what his pricing is like - don't see any used on Craigslist / FB Marketplace.
My guess is that an Album Lightbender or Sunstone, or even Lost Retro Fish would all be better choices.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My guess is that an Album Lightbender or Sunstone, or even Lost Retro Fish would all be better choices.
if OP considering another album for smaller/weaker waves (below HH) than Twinsman, check out Twinbender (winged Lightbender) or Plasmic / Vesper mini. Go as short as you can paddle- small but packs a lot of foam. Catches waves easily, fast, responsive (off the tail). https://www.varialsurf.com/collections/in-stock-surfboards/products/plasmic-59

I had a 5’7 PU Seaside for a bit. It's a really fast, easy, fun board. This and RNF Retro are quad fishes, which can be slightly more forgiving than some twins IMO, and are always a good time.
You might also consider a Gremlin XL swallowtail, WhiteTiger, or the latest Precious. All are pretty fishy. I love my 5'9 Gremlin XL swallowtail as quad or even twin+trailer. Surprising range.

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Thank you. It's unlikely that I'll get another Album; the prices for used ones are exorbitant in this area. Besides, I make an effort to support local shapers whenever I can. My Twinsman is actually a clone crafted by a shaper in San Diego. I've been exploring Eric Christenson's board designs today, and there are a couple of fishy shapes that caught my eye. I particularly liked the ECDoesIt, although it's not a traditional fish design. I'll see what I can find on Craigslist / FB Marketplace.

The feedback I've received has been valuable. I'm looking to choose the most versatile fish-shaped board possible that fills the gap at the lower end of my quiver. My Twinsman fills the top end, my Barahona Tiburon fills the day to day, and I have a Becker LC-3 that fills the rest.
They don't pop up too often, but if you happen to run across Akila Aipa's Contemporary fish, definitely worth a look as well. It has a good mix of fish & sb. I've used mine all over in a range of conditions. It excels in smaller surf where speed is your friend.

• Love
Reactions: oeste858

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Thanks I'll keep an eye out. I've been chatting with the Zippi people and may likely end up going the custom route, on par or cheaper than pricing I've been seeing for used boards that have been recommended here (Wills Fish, Seaside, RNF's, Albums) and knows a thing or two about my local conditions. For what it's worth, I stumbled upon Eric Christenson's stuff and I love some of his shapes, will have to pick one up in the future. Thanks to everyone in the thread for all the insight.
That’s a great call. Zippifish go well in a wide range of conditions and they’re local to you

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
as far as I know, sadly, Zippi passed away recently, but his board designs are still available and being made. Check the website or zippifish IG account

Yeah Mike passed away.

Nice guy,

Stoked I was abler to get one while he was around.

Favorite board in the quiver right now as it just plain works.

Only drawback Is the glass Ons. I like the board so much I want to travel with it but may select something else to travel with just because of that