This is how we do in San Diego

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Such a massive ocean, it still amazes me that we get these long flat spells with minimal shadowing. Literally not even rideable pretty much everywhere in S.D. County right now and it looks to continue for at least another week. :bricks:

At least the water has been regularly breaking into the 70's. :cool: I better not see any of you in a fullsuit. :poke:

lakesandiego.jpg

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
It's been "longboardable" for the past few weeks. I can't imagine living in San Diego without a log, it allows you to surf about 300+ days a year if you wanted to.

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Such a massive ocean, it still amazes me that we get these long flat spells with minimal shadowing. Literally not even rideable pretty much everywhere in S.D. County right now and it looks to continue for at least another week. :bricks:

At least the water has been regularly breaking into the 70's. :cool: I better not see any of you in a fullsuit. :poke:
Same up here. Even the most swell magnet beaches have been knee to waist high on the best days, but too foggy or too windy to make it worth the drive. Garbage summer continues.

Reactions: jkb and Havoc

pastel

OTF status
Nov 23, 2022
sure i'll fix that fence. hey i did the dishes. you know what, we need to cut those tree branches- i got this. no worries, i'll drive our daughter. decided to clean the garage today. these flat spells are great for relationships

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

View attachment 158705
ESA would run a contest in that.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I thought it was just me being a grump. Saw forty people at Grandview over the weekend... Like why?
You were warned about this before you moved.

Stop naming spots. Before you know it there’ll be 100 guys out.

It was 1” (not Hawaiian) yesterday with 40 people out at the “secret spot”.

Reactions: npsp

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Time for the rituals--garlic baby, garlic, gotta eat a clove of raw garlic...has worked for us in the past...I'm sure there are other rituals, whattya got?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It's been "longboardable" for the past few weeks. I can't imagine living in San Diego without a log, it allows you to surf about 300+ days a year if you wanted to.
I never thought about logging until I moved to this county. I remember working at <redacted> and being part of the crew of guys who surged it every day. Then at one point I no longer saw one of the younger guys until one day I did. I asked him where he’d been and he said he moved down to San Diego. He got too bored of the job on base and couldn’t take it anymore. He said he still had dreams about <redacted> though. Pretty soon i got too bored working there and found a new job up north. Even though it was the perfect job to surf, I just couldn’t take it anymore.

Anyways, surging is pretty much the only reason to live in coastal CA. We have family here but don’t see them every day and Californians have very different definition of family. Work is very “peak and valley“ for me. Friend-wise, everyone I know moved out and everyone is a blow-in. It’s amazing how much modern life needs recreation. Im reading Little House on the Prairie to my kids and people back then seemed happy with work, community, and church. I OTOH feel myself descending into madness when we have these long flat spells.

Last edited:
Reactions: crustBrother

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I managed to get waves every day this week but yeah a little more energy in the water would have been great

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Just gotta break out the body boards. My wife snagged a knice BZ board for this very reason. Super fun in closeout beach breaks. I can get more barrels on my BB than I could ever get standing up. Plus, every wave is overhead. 1689953611270.gif

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I never thought about logging until I moved to this county. I remember working at <redacted> and being part of the crew of guys who surged it every day. Then at one point I no longer saw one of the younger guys until one day I did. I asked him where he’d been and he said he moved down to San Diego. He got too bored of the job on base and couldn’t take it anymore. He said he still had dreams about <redacted> though. Pretty soon i got too bored working there and found a new job up north. Even though it was the perfect job to surf, I just couldn’t take it anymore.

Anyways, surging is pretty much the only reason to live in coastal CA. We have family here but don’t see them every day and Californians have very different definition of family. Work is very “peak and valley“ for me. Friend-wise, everyone I know moved out and everyone is a blow-in. It’s amazing how much modern life needs recreation. Im reading Little House on the Prairie to my kids and people back then seemed happy with work, community, and church. I OTOH feel myself descending into madness when we have these long flat spells.
We have too much free time, n life has become too easy. No one is “present.” Our brains can’t cope, much like a high drive working dog livin that apartment life-no amount of walks in the park will satiate that need to work.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It's late July bros. We're like halfway+ through the waste. I can already taste the early August trip. Hopefully El Nino gets started nice and early.

But yeah it's the dog day doldrums. Hilariously short rides in mixed up microdogshit on the log. A million degrees out. Watching women's soccer. Reading which undrafted Foot Locker employee might be the seventh string wide receiver.