This is depressing...

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
It's groundhogs day over and over and over again. Everything has changed. Nothing is going to be the same for a very long time. I can't remember the last time I surfed. Which is actually not even close to being the worst of it. I turn the TV news on and 10 minutes later I gotta get out of the room. I'm worried about my father, I'm worried about my wife, I'm worried about my kids, I'm worried about the world economy, I'm worried about... everything and everyone? And I'm in a really good spot compared to a lot of people. I can do this for a long time if I don't hang myself or die of COVID19.

If I take it one day at a time, I can deal with it. If I start looking forward and making extrapolations... :confused:

I guess I'll work out like a prisoner again in the garage. Just like yesterday and the day before.

Maybe I'll have a scoop of dirt dumped in my driveway and I'll build some raised beds for a veggie garden?

Not really critical mass on the depression bit. I'm overstating but the phrase "this is depressing" keeps coming out of my mouth.

What is everybody doing to stay sane?

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
It is normal for your emotions to fluctuate. Up/down.

Focus on your family and the things you can control in your immediate environment.

Understand that viable solutions will come in time. Be smart and part of those solutions.

It will all work out.

Reactions: CutnSnip and Aruka

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It was easier to handle this covid thing when I was really sick.

Now I'm healthy, I'm like a caged animal at Joe Exotic's zoo.

My goal is to wait until four before I start drinking, and six before I start watching TV.

Winning!

After not working out for 3 weeks, I did some body weight squats and tweaked my good hip. :poop:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Stop being a pussy and don't let that sadness creep in. If you need perspective, read any book about the British people during WWII. Bombed for 57 straight days and nights during London Blitz.

We have internet, ipad, iphones, gaming consoles, board games, netflix, prime, disney+, and hulu. And you're telling me people can't hunker down for a few months to beat this thing without feeling all depressed and sad? Bullshit. Pick yourself up off your floor of tears and do something productive with your life. We got this bru!

Last edited:

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Stop being a pussy and don't let that sadness creep in. If you need perspective, read any book about the British people during WWII. Bombed for 57 straight days and nights.

We have internet, ipad, iphones, gaming consoles, board games, netflix, prime, disney+, and hulu. And you're telling me people can't hunker down for a few months to beat this thing without feeling all depressed and sad? Bullshit. We got this bru!
i'm reading this now. early into it but very good.Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.39.18 AM.png

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Stop being a pussy and don't let that sadness creep in. If you need perspective, read any book about the British people during WWII. Bombed for 57 straight days and nights.

We have internet, ipad, iphones, gaming consoles, board games, netflix, prime, disney+, and hulu. And you're telling me people can't hunker down for a few months to beat this thing without feeling all depressed and sad? Bullshit. Pick yourself up off your floor of tears and do something productive with your life. We got this bru!
And I say all of the above to myself 5-20 times a day.
:bricks:

And by the way, there is a problem viewing the forum on an iphone with that popup ad being in the middle of the page eternally. Get to work. :drowning:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
And I say all of the above to myself 5-20 times a day.
:bricks:

And by the way, there is a problem viewing the forum on an iphone with that popup ad being in the middle of the page eternally. Get to work.
Well there is your problem. Stop saying it and do something about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
You’ll get through it’s GWS. This is all temporary.

if you feel up to it why not look into working in one of the essential fields for the time being? There’s plenty out there that keep you relatively isolated. The tree care industry has been booming out west and there’s plenty of work. It’ll keep your mind off things.

dwarden30

OTF status
Jun 29, 2008
Well there is your problem. Stop saying it and do something about it.
The social isolation thing plays tricks on your mind. In a way it’s worse than having your city or town bombed. The toughen up thing doesn’t work. Develop empathy for others and prior generations.

Reactions: tenover

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The social isolation thing plays tricks on your mind. In a way it’s worse than having your city or town bombed. The toughen up thing doesn’t work. Develop empathy for others and prior generations.
All I hear are excuses from a nation of pussies.

Thank goodness for the doctors, nurses, and other front line people sucking it up and getting it done on the front lines. Buy them a beer as soon as this thing is over.

Last edited:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Not easy here. stuck in a 270 square feet apartment, no garden... no outside. at least I have a balcony with a grill, which is helping me keep my sanity and also getting fat.

All things considered I'm not doing too bad. Having a job that I can do from home helps.

It makes me sad that my kid can't see his grannies whom he loves to death. Sometimes he says "I lost my Granddad Creso" (Perdi meu vovô Creso) and it breaks my heart.

To make things worse I can't find weed anywhere.It's like they ran out.

The consequences of the lockdown scare me to death. I'm one of the few who can work from home so I didn't feel anything yet... but the cascade effect will be brutal. I'm saving as much as I can now, who knows what will happen.

Everyone safe out there? Specially those in NY?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
All I hear are excuses from a nation of pussies.

Thank goodness for the doctors and front line people sucking it up and getting it done on the front lines. Buy them a beer as soon as this thing is over.
My wife is a nurse so I'm handing her a glass of wine after her shift. As we wonder if she is bringing anything home we don't know about...

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Not easy here. stuck in a 270 square feet apartment, no garden... no outside. at least I have a balcony with a grill, which is helping me keep my sanity and also getting fat.

All things considered I'm not doing too bad. Having a job that I can do from home helps.

It makes me sad that my kid can't see his grannies whom he loves to death. Sometimes he says "I lost my Granddad Creso" (Perdi meu vovô Creso) and it breaks my heart.

To make things worse I can't find weed anywhere.It's like they ran out.

The consequences of the lockdown scare me to death. I'm one of the few who can work from home so I didn't feel anything yet... but the cascade effect will be brutal. I'm saving as much as I can now, who knows what will happen.

Everyone safe out there? Specially those in NY?
Yeah the New Yorkers are in the minority of erBBers who can still go surfing.

Getting bombed at night for 57 straight would turbosuck. I'd probably trade two weeks of bombings and for sure my neighbor's homes for a 2 hour full moon high tide with an ESE trade swell x a local NE windswell though.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
You’ll get through it’s GWS. This is all temporary.

if you feel up to it why not look into working in one of the essential fields for the time being? There’s plenty out there that keep you relatively isolated. The tree care industry has been booming out west and there’s plenty of work. It’ll keep your mind off things.
I'm going to sneak in and do some design work for a few people and then maybe cut a few boards. I feel a responsibility to keep my friends financially alive. Getting out of the house will feel good. Although my wife just heard the phone call is telling me not to go.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I’m working a lot, which I realize is something not everyone can do
I’m also learning new stuff with some online courses
I’m organizing and cleaning
Listening to music and limiting how much news I’m watching
Going for walks
Getting on my wife’s nerves
Getting high
Picking cement out of the flowerbeds
Sending random emails to people I haven’t kept in touch with

I like that mark twain quote about most of the worst things in his life never actually happened.

By nature, I’m not a worrier anyway, but still nice to remember
And I’m also thankful that, so far, I’ve been personally not so adversely affected by this.

Hang in there GWS
And everyone else too
cowabunga
rg